- Overall, we rate the Florida Times-Union Least Biased based on factual news reporting and reasonably balanced editorials. We also rate them High for factual reporting due to proper sourcing and a clean fact check record.
Factual Reporting: HIGH
World Press Freedom Rank: USA 45/180
Founded in 1864, the Florida Times-Union is a major daily broadsheet newspaper in Jacksonville, Florida, USA. Widely known as the oldest newspaper in the state. The current editor is Mary Kelli Palka.
Funded by / Ownership
The Florida Times-Union is owned by Gannett (Gatehouse Media), which publishes USA Today. In August 2019, Gatehouse Media purchased and merged with Gannett becoming the largest newspaper chain in the USA. After the merger, the companies retained the Gannett name. The newspaper is funded through advertising and paid subscriptions.
Analysis / Bias
In review, local news is covered via reporters with minimal bias such as this Coronavirus: All Duval County beaches to close; testing to begin at TIAA Bank Field Saturday. National and international news is covered through the USA Today Network as well as the Associated Press.
Editorially, the Florida Times-Union typically endorsed Republican candidates under previous ownership. However, since being purchased by Gannett in 2017, there is a moderation in editorial positions. Op-eds are reasonably balanced with slightly more advocating from a left-leaning perspective such as this Editorial: Don’t meddle with the mail, the most popular government service and Editorial: The cruel, wasteful prison policies in Florida and the US. In general, the news is reported factually and with a reasonable editorial balance that currently slightly leans left.
Failed Fact Checks
- None in the Last 5 years
Overall, we rate the Florida Times-Union Least Biased based on factual news reporting and reasonably balanced editorials. We also rate them High for factual reporting due to proper sourcing and a clean fact check record. (D. Van Zandt 7/29/2016) Updated (8/20/2020)
Last Updated on August 20, 2020 by Media Bias Fact Check
News Facts Network Verified Factual News
- Biden urges all Americans to reject ‘poison’ of white supremacy after Buffalo mass shootingby newsfactsnetwork on May 17, 2022 at 5:49 pm
- Sweden Signs NATO Admission Request; Finnish Lawmakers Set To Formally Endorse Moveby newsfactsnetwork on May 17, 2022 at 1:15 pm
- Dems turn focus to racist ‘replacement theory’ post-Buffalo shootingby Media Bias Fact Check on May 17, 2022 at 12:36 pm
- Truth Social has no ad revenue, but banks on exclusive Donald Trump postsby newsfactsnetwork on May 17, 2022 at 12:25 pm
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 05/17/2022by Media Bias Fact Check on May 17, 2022 at 10:15 am