These media sources have a slight to moderate liberal bias. They often publish factual information that utilizes loaded words (wording that attempts to influence an audience by appealing to emotion or stereotypes) to favor liberal causes. These sources are generally trustworthy for information but may require further investigation. See all Left-Center sources.
- Overall, we rate Dawn, Left-Center biased based on editorial positions that favor a liberal perspective. We also rate them Mostly Factual in reporting rather than High due to a lack of hyperlinked sourcing with national news. However, we rate them Medium Credibility due to the inability to accurately report on the government.
Bias Rating: LEFT-CENTER
Factual Reporting: MOSTLY FACTUAL
Country: Pakistan (145/180 Press Freedom)
Media Type: Newspaper
Traffic/Popularity: High Traffic
MBFC Credibility Rating: MEDIUM CREDIBILITY
Launched in 1941, Dawn is an English-language daily newspaper based in Karachi, Pakistan. It was founded by Quaid-i-Azam (Great Leader in Urdu) Mohammad Ali Jinnah, who is also the founder of Pakistan. Dawn focuses on the latest news, analysis related to Pakistan, South Asia, and the world. The current editor of Dawn is Mr. Zaffar Abbas who’s position in Pakistan’s media is defined as liberal, centrist, and progressive.
Funded by / Ownership
Dawn Group of Newspapers owns the Dawn Newspaper. Advertising and classifieds generate revenue.
Analysis / Bias
Pakistan is ranked 145 out of 180 countries in the 2020 Press Freedom Index from the organization Reporters without Borders. According to Reporter’s Without Borders “Distribution of newspapers, especially the leading daily Dawn, has been interrupted. Media outlets are threatened with the withdrawal of advertising.”
In review, Dawn utilizes moderately loaded language in their headlines such as ‘Deep-rooted prejudice’: Pakistan condemns India’s restrictions on Eid rituals in occupied Kashmir. Typically, Dawn sources through quotes but fails to provide links to their sources. In National politics, they are lightly critical of the current Khan government in their articles, but must be careful in their criticism. Current Prime Minister Imran Khan is a member of the governing party, Pakistan Tehreek-e-Insaf, the Center-Right Islamic Populist Party.
Editorially, criticism of the government is rare as the military censor’s media outlets through denial of advertising revenue and intimidation; however, Dawn presents a more progressive perspective advocating for women’s rights and concern for climate change Pakistan’s new climate change ministry merely “cosmetic.”
Failed Fact Checks
- None in the Last 5 years
Overall, we rate Dawn, Left-Center biased based on editorial positions that favor a liberal perspective. We also rate them Mostly Factual in reporting rather than High due to a lack of hyperlinked sourcing with national news. However, we rate them Medium Credibility due to the inability to accurately report on the government. (M. Huitsing 3/19/2018) Updated (7/21/2021)
Last Updated on July 21, 2021 by Media Bias Fact Check
News Facts Network Verified Factual News
- Russia to close Moscow bureau of CBC News in retaliationby Media Bias Fact Check on May 18, 2022 at 7:52 pm
- Biden Expresses Strong Support For Finland, Sweden NATO Bidsby Media Bias Fact Check on May 18, 2022 at 6:53 pm
- U.S. COVID-19 cases increased threefold over past month
- Ex-Minneapolis police officer pleads guilty to manslaughter in George Floyd’s death
- Cancer drug may treat severe COVID-19, study finds