These media sources have a slight to moderate liberal bias. They often publish factual information that utilizes loaded words (wording that attempts to influence an audience by appeals to emotion or stereotypes) to favor liberal causes. These sources are generally trustworthy for information but may require further investigation. See all Left-Center sources.
Overall, we rate the Albany Times-Union Left-Center Biased based on editorial positions that usually favor the left. We also rate them High for factual reporting due to proper sourcing of information and a clean fact check.
Bias Rating: LEFT-CENTER
Factual Reporting: HIGH
Press Freedom Rating: MOSTLY FREE
Media Type: Newspaper
Traffic/Popularity: Medium Traffic
MBFC Credibility Rating: HIGH CREDIBILITY
Founded in 1857, the Albany Times-Union is an American daily newspaper serving the Capital Region of New York, United States. Although the newspaper focuses on Albany and its suburbs, it covers all parts of the four-county area, including the cities of Troy, Schenectady, and Saratoga Springs. The current editor is Rex Smith.
Funded by / Ownership
The Albany Times-Union is owned by Hearst Communications, which owns newspapers, magazines, television channels, and television stations, including the San Francisco Chronicle, the Houston Chronicle, and Esquire. According to Open Secrets, Hearst donated 70% to Republican candidates and causes in 2020. Advertising and subscription fees generate revenue.
Analysis / Bias
In review, the Albany Times-Union reports local news through journalists with minimal bias such as this: Albany County offering employees $15K buyout. The national news is derived from other Hearst papers and the Associated Press.
Editorially, the Albany Times-Union tends to favor Democratic candidates, as evidenced by their endorsement of Democratic Presidential Candidate Hillary Clinton in the 2016 Presidential election. Further, a review of op-eds shows that the majority lean left: Political play in Trump’s postal plans. In general, straight news is presented with low bias and proper sourcing, while editorial content favors the left.
Failed Fact Checks
- None in the Last 5 years
Overall, we rate the Albany Times-Union Left-Center Biased based on editorial positions that usually favor the left. We also rate them High for factual reporting due to proper sourcing of information and a clean fact check. (D. Van Zandt 10/6/2016) Updated (12/26/2021)
Last Updated on February 5, 2022 by Media Bias Fact Check
The Latest from MBFC Bias and Fact Checks - Media News
- Facebook takes down Russian network impersonating European news outletsby Media Bias/Fact Check on September 27, 2022 at 1:45 pm
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 09/27/2022by Media Bias/Fact Check on September 27, 2022 at 10:30 am
- Daily Source Bias Check: Electronic Frontier Foundationby Media Bias/Fact Check on September 27, 2022 at 8:00 am
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 09/26/2022by Media Bias/Fact Check on September 26, 2022 at 10:30 am
- Daily Source Bias Check: End the Fedby Media Bias/Fact Check on September 26, 2022 at 8:00 am
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 09/25/2022by Media Bias/Fact Check on September 25, 2022 at 10:30 am