These media sources have a slight to moderate liberal bias. They often publish factual information that utilizes loaded words (wording that attempts to influence an audience by appeals to emotion or stereotypes) to favor liberal causes. These sources are generally trustworthy for information but may require further investigation. See all Left-Center sources.
- Overall, we rate the ACLU Left-Center biased based on supporting left-leaning positions. We also rate them Mixed for factual reporting due to a few failed fact checks.
Bias Rating: LEFT-CENTER
Factual Reporting: MIXED
Country: USA (44/180 Press Freedom)
Media Type: Organization/Foundation
Traffic/Popularity: Medium Traffic
MBFC Credibility Rating: MEDIUM CREDIBILITY
Founded in 1920, The American Civil Liberties Union (ACLU) is a nonpartisan, non-profit organization whose stated mission is “to defend and preserve the individual rights and liberties guaranteed to every person in this country by the Constitution and laws of the United States.” It works through litigation, lobbying, and community empowerment.
Funded by / Ownership
The ACLU is a 501(c)4 non-profit corporation. Donations fund the organization.
Analysis / Bias
The ACLU often cites places like the Huffington Post for news articles in their blog and even news sections, but sometimes they will use basic reporting like AP or Reuters. Beyond their news and blog posts, most of the site covers issues that are often considered more liberal causes but most often, it is consistent with their stance on the rights they champion. The ACLU has defended the KKK, Pro-Abortion, and Neo-Nazis ’ right to assemble and protest (1 2 3). They will often be accused of being left-biased as they do not advocate for gun rights; however, they do not champion gun regulations either. A quick search for Gun Rights or even Guns will yield no results or results only related to search and seizure cases they have taken on. They disagree on the individual’s rights to own firearms but do not advocate their beliefs. They have teamed up with the NRA several times in a sort of odd fellowship (4).
Their Blog & News feeds can often be filled with more left-leaning stances, but they are not biased in their case workload or defending the rights they advocate for. There have been times Justice Scalia, the most outspoken and most conservative justice at the time, had ideas that line up with the ACLU (5). Most modern conservatives may often take issue with much of what the ACLU advocates and litigates in courts. However, the ACLU has defended religious freedoms in the school as well. Including the right to pray in school (6). I would try to advocate that the ACLU is more neutral than the left, but with the major shift in American politics to the right, I can no longer advocate that stance.
Failed Fact Checks
- “When the country was founded, Congress had exactly the same attitude about the sanctity of Christmas celebrations that a 7-Eleven does today: ‘Yeah, we’re open.'” – Pants on Fire
- Voter identification laws make it complicated and expensive to get an ID, essentially instituting a modern-day poll tax. – Mostly False
- “Half the states in the U.S. have laws that criminalize criticism.” – Mostly False
Overall, we rate the ACLU Left-Center biased based on supporting left-leaning positions. We also rate them Mixed for factual reporting due to a few failed fact checks. (M. Allen 2/9/2017) Updated (8/25/2021)
Last Updated on August 25, 2021 by Media Bias Fact Check
The Latest from MBFC Bias and Fact Checks - Media News
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 10/06/2022by Media Bias/Fact Check on October 6, 2022 at 10:30 am
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 10/05/2022by Media Bias/Fact Check on October 5, 2022 at 10:30 am
- Daily Source Bias Check: Tenth Amendment Centerby Media Bias/Fact Check on October 5, 2022 at 8:00 am
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 10/04/2022by Media Bias/Fact Check on October 4, 2022 at 10:30 am
- Daily Source Bias Check: NBC New Yorkby Media Bias/Fact Check on October 4, 2022 at 8:00 am
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 10/03/2022by Media Bias/Fact Check on October 3, 2022 at 10:30 am