These media sources are moderate to strongly biased toward liberal causes through story selection and/or political affiliation. They may utilize strong loaded words (wording that attempts to influence an audience by using appeal to emotion or stereotypes), publish misleading reports, and omit information reporting that may damage liberal causes. Some sources in this category may be untrustworthy. See all Left Bias sources.
- Overall, we rate Aftonbladet Left Biased based on story selection that favors the Left and Mixed for factual reporting due to a failed fact check and the publishing of questionable scientific information related to health and diet.
Bias Rating: LEFT
Factual Reporting: MIXED
Press Freedom Rating: EXCELLENT
Media Type: Newspaper
Traffic/Popularity: High Traffic
MBFC Credibility Rating: MEDIUM CREDIBILITY
Founded in 1830 by Lars Johan Hierta, Aftonbladet is a Swedish Tabloid based in Stockholm, Sweden. Aftonbladet describes itself as a “liberal champion of freedom of the press.” Lena K Samuelsson has been the editor-in-chief and the publisher of Aftonbladet since March 2018.
Funded by / Ownership
Aftonbladet is co-owned by the Swedish Trade Union Confederation, commonly referred to as LO, and the Norwegian media group Schibsted (Majority holder). Their business model is based on advertising and subscription fees.
Analysis / Bias
During WW2, Aftonbladet’s political stance was far-right; however, after the 1956 trade unions’ acquisition, Aftonbladet’s political stance became social-democratic.
In review, Aftonbladet publishes national stories with neutral headlines such as “This is what happened in Sweden last night,” “Migrants’ values mapped out in a new study,” and on issues such as equality “Requirements for makeup for female staff at Norwegian.” Aftonbladet reports world news with neutral headlines such as “Trump acknowledges Jerusalem and moves the embassy in Israel.” Further, they also publish typical tabloid news such as “Drop your cellulite – with sock,” as well as reports on celebrity gossip and questionable dietary advice. They generally source their news stories to credible outlets such as Reuters, TT News Agency ( National wire service in Sweden, established in 1920), AP, and AFP.
Failed Fact Checks
- [Norway is] one of the countries that receive the least number of refugees in all of Europe. – False
Overall, we rate Aftonbladet Left Biased based on story selection that favors the Left and Mixed for factual reporting due to a failed fact check and the publishing of questionable scientific information related to health and diet. (M. Huitsing 4/15/2019) Updated (12/24/2021)
Last Updated on January 5, 2022 by Media Bias Fact Check
News Facts Network Verified Factual News
- Conservative media is familiar with Buffalo suspect’s alleged ‘theory’by newsfactsnetwork on May 16, 2022 at 11:48 am
- More mass shootings are happening at grocery stores — 13% of shooters are motivated by race, criminologists findby Media Bias Fact Check on May 16, 2022 at 11:40 am
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 05/16/2022by Media Bias Fact Check on May 16, 2022 at 10:15 am
- MBFC’s Daily Source Bias Check: Infobaeby Media Bias Fact Check on May 16, 2022 at 7:09 am
- Finland will apply for NATO membership, president says, in historic move for traditionally neutral countryby newsfactsnetwork on May 15, 2022 at 11:56 am