A questionable source exhibits one or more of the following: extreme bias, consistent promotion of propaganda/conspiracies, poor or no sourcing to credible information, a complete lack of transparency and/or is fake news. Fake News is the deliberate attempt to publish hoaxes and/or disinformation for the purpose of profit or influence (Learn More). Sources listed in the Questionable Category may be very untrustworthy and should be fact checked on a per article basis. Please note sources on this list are not considered fake news unless specifically written in the reasoning section for that source. See all Questionable sources.
- Overall, we rate Uncle Sam’s Misguided Children Questionable based on Extreme Right bias, promotion of conspiracies and propaganda, lack of ownership transparency and numerous instances of publishing fake news as verified through several failed fact checks.
Reasoning: Extreme Right, Propaganda, Conspiracy, Lack of Transparency, Failed Fact Checks
World Press Freedom Rank: USA 48/180
Founded in 2011 by Rick (Tank) Ferran, Uncle Sam’s Misguided Children is a conservative news website as well as an online store that sells conservative related merchandise. According to their about page “Uncle Sam’s Misguided Children is a community founded by United States Marine Veterans to bring awareness of the lame stream media.” They state their mission as to “raise awareness of threats foreign and domestic against our Constitutional Rights by providing accurate news, commentary, and facilitating the organization of Patriot groups in the defense of Freedom.”
Funded by / Ownership
The website does not openly state ownership. Uncle Sam’s Misguided Children is funded through advertising and an online store that sells branded merchandise as well conservative and pro-Trump items.
Analysis / Bias
In review, Uncle Sam’s Misguided Children publishes news and opinions with a strong right leaning bias. Story selection always favors the right and utilizes strong emotional wording such as this, AL ABORTION BAN – LEFTISTS IN MELTDOWN OVER “PATRIARCHY”. This particularly story is poorly sourced to tweets rather than credible media sources. Uncle Sam’s Misguided Children frequently publishes propaganda pieces highlighting the dangers of illegal immigration such as this: TEXAS ILLEGAL ALIEN CHARGED WITH 12 MURDERS OF ELDERLY WOMEN, MAYBE HUNDREDS MORE. This story is sourced to the Associated Press and the factually Mixed Daily Wire. The headline of the story is very misleading as it claims there may be 100’s more murdered by this man, however the article states that police are investigating 750 other deaths. It does not mean this man was responsible for 100’s of them. This is classic propaganda to seize on a factual statement and make an unknown claim that cannot be substantiated.
In another article they promote the conspiracy that former President Obama is a Muslim as well as the age old debunked birth certificate conspiracy. In general, story selection always favors the right and sometimes poor sources are utilized. They also do not distinguish between straight news and opinion, which is misleading. It is safe to say most content on this website is opinion. Further, they frequently publish outright false or misleading claims and memes on their social media pages. See below.
A factual search reveals numerous failed fact checks on either their website or through social media. Below is a short list.
- Says U.S. Rep. Ron DeSantis “voted in favor of food stamps for illegal immigrants.” – Pants of Fire
- The widely debated practice of separating families at the border is mandated by Public Law 107-296, which was passed by Democrats in 2002 – False
- In August 2018, “liberals” started a GoFundMe campaign to raise murder suspect Cristhian Rivera’s $5,000,000 bail. – False
- A photograph shows women who gathered to “scream” at President Donald Trump “through their vaginas.” – False
- In the summer of 2018, President Donald Trump donated his entire $400,000 annual salary to the Department of the Interior for the purpose of rebuilding military cemeteries. – False
Overall, we rate Uncle Sam’s Misguided Children Questionable based on Extreme Right bias, promotion of conspiracies and propaganda, lack of ownership transparency and numerous instances of publishing fake news as verified through several failed fact checks. (7/21/2016) Updated (D. Van Zandt 5/22/2019)