These media sources are moderately to strongly biased toward conservative causes through story selection and/or political affiliation. They may utilize strong loaded words (wording that attempts to influence an audience by using appeal to emotion or stereotypes), publish misleading reports, and omit information that may damage conservative causes. Some sources in this category may be untrustworthy. See all Right Bias sources.
- Overall, we rate The Daily Wire borderline questionable and Right Biased based on story selection and editorial positions that align with the conservative right. We also rate them Mixed for factual reporting due to several failed fact checks. If the Daily Wire fails, another fact check will be moved to the Questionable list.
Bias Rating: RIGHT
Factual Reporting: MIXED
Country: USA (45/180 Press Freedom)
Media Type: Website
Traffic/Popularity: High Traffic
MBFC Credibility Rating: MEDIUM CREDIBILITY
The Daily Wire is a politically conservative American news and opinion website founded in 2015 by conservative political commentator Ben Shapiro, who currently serves as Editor-in-Chief. Michael Knowles is managing editor, and Jeremy Boreing is Chief Operating Officer.
Funded by / Ownership
Forward Publishing LLC owns the Daily Wire. Forward Publishing is owned and managed by the billionaire Wilks Brothers who made their money through the fossil fuel industry with their company Frac Tech. The Wilks brothers are also a part of the extreme Christian right who interpret the bible literally. The website is funded through a subscription and advertising model.
Analysis / Bias
The Daily Wire presents news with a hyper-partisan conservative bias in reporting and wording. For example, headlines are usually sensational and utilize strong emotional language such as this: Democrats Boo God. Then They Quote The Bible To Attack Trump. Virtually every story favors the right and denigrates the left. However, the Daily Wire does not always report favorably on President Trump and his policies. When it comes to science, they often do not align with climate scientists’ consensus that humans are a significant factor in climate change. See the fact checks below.
Failed Fact Checks
- “climate models have overestimated the amount of global warming and failed to predict what climatologists call the warming ‘hiatus’” – Incorrect
- One-third of the caravan migrants have HIV/AIDS, tuberculosis, or chicken pox. – Mostly False
- Analysis of “Scientists: Here’s What Really Causes Climate Change (And It Has Nothing To Do With Human Beings)” – False
- Analysis of “Climate Scientists: Climate Models Have Overestimated Global Warming” – False
- Did Amy Klobuchar decline to prosecute Derek Chauvin, the cop at the center of George Floyd’s death? – False (5/29/2020)
Overall, we rate The Daily Wire borderline questionable and Right Biased based on story selection and editorial positions that align with the conservative right. We also rate them Mixed for factual reporting due to several failed fact checks. If the Daily Wire fails another fact check will be moved to the Questionable list. (9/2/2016) Updated (D. Van Zandt 03/10/2020)