- Overall, we rate The Daily Wire Right Biased based on story selection and editorial positions that align with the conservative right. We also rate them Mixed for factual reporting due to the promotion of propaganda and a few failed fact checks.
Bias Rating: RIGHT
Factual Reporting: MIXED
Press Freedom Rank: MOSTLY FREE
Media Type: Website
Traffic/Popularity: High Traffic
MBFC Credibility Rating: MEDIUM CREDIBILITY
The Daily Wire is a politically conservative American news and opinion website founded in 2015 by conservative political commentator Ben Shapiro, who currently serves as Editor-in-Chief. Michael Knowles is the managing editor, and Jeremy Boreing is Chief Operating Officer.
In 2022, Cumulus media “announced a new syndication agreement to deliver Daily Wire digital content to Cumulus radio station websites in key markets across the United States.
Funded by / Ownership
Forward Publishing LLC owns the Daily Wire. Forward Publishing is owned and managed by the billionaire Wilks Brothers, who made their money through the fossil fuel industry with Frac Tech. The Wilks brothers are also a part of the extreme Christian right who interpret the bible literally. The website is funded through a subscription and advertising model.
Analysis / Bias
The Daily Wire presents news with a hyper-partisan conservative bias in reporting and wording. For example, headlines are usually sensational and utilize strong emotional language such as this: Democrats Boo God. Then They Quote The Bible To Attack Trump. Virtually every story favors the right and denigrates the left. However, the Daily Wire does not always report favorably on former President Trump and his policies.
When it comes to science they often do not align with climate scientists’ consensus that humans are a significant factor in climate change. See the fact checks below.
Editorially, in 2022, The Daily Wire frequently reports negatively on Democrats using emotional language such as this Joe Biden Recalls The Old Days Of Having Lunch With ‘Real Segregationists’ – Again. Reporting on Republicans tends to be positive such as this Mike Pence Credits Trump Supreme Court Appointments, American People With Probable Overturn Of Roe v. Wade. In general, almost all stories favor the right.
Update: We reviewed their past failed fact checks with this update and found that most were corrected or edited for accuracy. Therefore, we removed fixed failed fact checks, which moved the Daily Wire from the Questionable list. We still rate them Mixed for factual reporting due to a few uncorrected fact checks and the fact that they frequently publish stories that require corrections.
Failed Fact Checks
- “climate models have overestimated the amount of global warming and failed to predict what climatologists call the warming’ hiatus'” – Incorrect
- Analysis of “Climate Scientists: Climate Models Have Overestimated Global Warming” – False
Overall, we rate The Daily Wire Right Biased based on story selection and editorial positions that align with the conservative right. We also rate them Mixed for factual reporting due to the promotion of propaganda and a few failed fact checks. (9/2/2016) Updated (D. Van Zandt 05/08/2022)
Last Updated on May 8, 2022 by Media Bias Fact Check
The Latest from MBFC Bias and Fact Checks - Media News
- Daily Source Bias Check: End the Fedby Media Bias/Fact Check on September 26, 2022 at 8:00 am
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 09/25/2022by Media Bias/Fact Check on September 25, 2022 at 10:30 am
- Daily Source Bias Check: Electronic Intifadaby Media Bias/Fact Check on September 25, 2022 at 8:00 am
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 09/24/2022by Media Bias/Fact Check on September 24, 2022 at 10:30 am
- Daily Source Bias Check: The Vindicatorby Media Bias/Fact Check on September 24, 2022 at 8:00 am
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 09/23/2022by Media Bias/Fact Check on September 23, 2022 at 10:30 am