These media sources are moderate to strongly biased toward conservative causes through story selection and/or political affiliation. They may utilize strong loaded words (wording that attempts to influence an audience by using appeal to emotion or stereotypes), publish misleading reports, and omit information reporting that may damage conservative causes. Some sources in this category may be untrustworthy. See all Right Bias sources.
- Overall, we rate the Daily Caller strongly right biased based on story selection that almost always favors the right and Mixed for factual reporting due to numerous failed fact checks. The Daily Caller is a source that needs to be fact-checked on a per-article basis.
Bias Rating: RIGHT
Factual Reporting: MIXED
Press Freedom Rating: MOSTLY FREE
Media Type: Website
Traffic/Popularity: High Traffic
MBFC Credibility Rating: MEDIUM CREDIBILITY
Founded in 2010, the Daily Caller is an American news and opinion website based in Washington, D.C. It was founded by Tucker Carlson, a paleoconservative political pundit, and Neil Patel, a former adviser to former Vice President Dick Cheney. The current editor-in-chief is Geoff Ingersol.
Funded by / Ownership
The Daily Caller is owned by The Daily Caller, Inc., which does not list its owners or members. The website was initially launched after raising $3 million in funding from businessman Foster Friess. Currently, the Daily Caller is funded through native online advertising, averaging 30 million+ page views per month.
Analysis / Bias
In review, The Daily Caller is a strongly conservative news and opinion website involved in publishing controversial and false stories. For example, they routinely publish misleading or false information regarding climate change that goes against the consensus of science. The Daily Caller has also published articles by Jason Kessler, a white supremacist who organized a rally of hundreds of white nationalists in Charlottesville. They subsequently scrubbed those articles after the Charlottesville vehicular homicide incident.
The Daily Caller frequently uses loaded emotional language that favors the right: DEM NOMINEE FOR FLORIDA GOVERNOR IS PROGRESSIVE MAYOR WITH CORRUPTION INVESTIGATION SWIRLING AROUND HIM. The Daily Caller usually sources their information to credible media outlets. Still, sometimes they utilize factually mixed sources, such as the Daily Wire, and Questionable sources, such as Judicial Watch. In reviewing story content, virtually all favored the right in story selection and wording while denigrating the left. The Daily Caller also promotes a favorable view of Former President Donald Trump by promoting his policies.
Failed Fact Checks
- “Former President Bill Clinton and his Clinton Health Access Initiative (CHAI) distributed ‘watered-down’ HIV/AIDS drugs to patients in sub-Saharan Africa.” – FALSE
- “Jeanne Shaheen was principally involved in a plot with Lois Lerner and President Barack Obama’s political appointee at the IRS to lead a program of harassment against conservative nonprofit groups during the 2012 election” – FALSE
- George Soros-controlled Smartmatic manufactures the voting machines used in 16 crucial states, and those states will be rigged in favor of Hillary Clinton. – FALSE
- Indiana Muslims are appalled by a billboard displaying a list of deeds by the Prophet Muhammad even though it is accurate. – MOSTLY FALSE
- Washington state has updated their curriculum standards to include teaching “transgenderism” to Kindergarteners. – MOSTLY FALSE
- Says Nancy Pelosi was “caught trying to include abortion funding in bill to combat coronavirus.” – FALSE
- Biden Administration To Fund Crack Pipes, Heroin – False
The Daily Caller has failed numerous fact checks; however, they post a significant amount of articles each day. They do not fall into the Questionable category based on the volume of articles published versus failed fact checks, though they are close.
Overall, we rate the Daily Caller strongly right biased based on story selection that almost always favors the right and Mixed for factual reporting due to numerous failed fact checks. The Daily Caller is a source that needs to be fact-checked on a per-article basis. (7/19/2016) Updated (D. Van Zandt 02/09/2022)
Last Updated on February 9, 2022 by Media Bias Fact Check
The Latest from MBFC Bias and Fact Checks - Media News
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 09/29/2022by Media Bias/Fact Check on September 29, 2022 at 10:30 am
- Daily Source Bias Check: The Spectator USAby Media Bias/Fact Check on September 29, 2022 at 8:00 am
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 09/28/2022by Media Bias/Fact Check on September 28, 2022 at 10:30 am
- Daily Source Bias Check: Bounding Into Comicsby Media Bias/Fact Check on September 28, 2022 at 8:00 am
- Facebook takes down Russian network impersonating European news outletsby Media Bias/Fact Check on September 27, 2022 at 1:45 pm
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 09/27/2022by Media Bias/Fact Check on September 27, 2022 at 10:30 am