Reasoning: Conspiracy, Propaganda, Numerous Failed Fact Checks
Bias Rating: FAR RIGHT
Factual Reporting: LOW
Press Freedom Rank: MOSTLY FREE
Media Type: Website
Traffic/Popularity: Medium Traffic
MBFC Credibility Rating: LOW CREDIBILITY
Founded in 1994 by Larry Klayman, Judicial Watch (JW) is an American conservative activist group that files Freedom of Information Act (FOIA) lawsuits to investigate government officials’ alleged misconduct. They primarily target Democrats such as the Clinton’s, Obama, and climate scientists as they label climate science “fraud science.” Judicial Watch has made numerous false and unsubstantiated claims, with a “vast majority” of their lawsuits dismissed. They describe themselves as “a conservative, non-partisan educational foundation that promotes transparency, accountability, and integrity in government, politics, and the law.” The current President of JW is Tom Fitton.
Funded by / Ownership
Judicial Watch is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization with contributions from individuals, foundations, and corporations. According to Sourcewatch, JW receives funding from prominent right-wing organizations such as the Carthage Foundation and Scaife Foundation.
Analysis / Bias
Judicial Watch reports news on their website using strong emotional language, usually pro-right or anti-left. Typical topics covered are anti-immigration, in which they highlight crimes committed by illegal immigrants, such as this: Busy Month for Illegal Immigrants Committing Heinous Crimes or dedicating an entire website to exposing former President Obama’s alleged IRS scandal.
They have also promoted debunked conspiracy theories such as this. Further, the founder of JW, Larry Klayman, recently promoted the conspiracy that the Clintons were killing people. Finally, they routinely promote conspiracy theories claimed by Former President Trump that are usually debunked. See failed fact checks below. Generally, most content and story selection is anti-left and not always factual.
Failed Fact Checks
- DHS Quietly Moving, Releasing ‘Vanloads’ of ‘Illegal Aliens’ Away from Border – FALSE
- Has Nancy Pelosi spent $100,000 on food, booze, and “partying” during her air travel? – FALSE
- Judicial Watch says ISIS operating a camp in Mexico–near El Paso – FALSE
- ‘Islamic Refugee’ with Gas Pipeline Plans Arrested in New Mexico Border County – FALSE
- Did the IRS ‘Fast Track’ Tax-Exempt Status for ‘After School Satan’ Clubs? – FALSE
- “More than 100,000 DACA applicants have been arrested—Murder, Rape, DUI.” – MOSTLY FALSE
- Did a legal settlement between Judicial Watch and California election officials prove that one million illegal votes were cast in the 2018 elections in California? – FALSE
- Donald Trump was allowed to destroy classified documents – MOSTLY FALSE
Overall, we rate Judicial Watch Questionable based on extreme right-wing bias, promotion of conspiracy theories, and an abysmal fact-check record. (7/19/2016) Updated (D. Van Zandt 08/13/2022)
Last Updated on May 26, 2023 by Media Bias Fact Check
Do you appreciate our work? Please consider one of the following ways to sustain us.