These media sources are slight to moderately conservative in bias. They often publish factual information that utilizes loaded words (wording that attempts to influence an audience by appeals to emotion or stereotypes) to favor conservative causes. These sources are generally trustworthy for information but may require further investigation. See all Right-Center sources.
- Overall, we rate WPEC – CBS12.com slightly Right-Center Biased based on editorial positions and High for factual reporting due to proper sourcing and a clean fact check record.
Bias Rating: RIGHT-CENTER
Factual Reporting: HIGH
Press Freedom Rank: MOSTLY FREE
Media Type: TV Station
Traffic/Popularity: Medium Traffic
MBFC Credibility Rating: HIGH CREDIBILITY
Founded in 1955, WPEC is a CBS-affiliated television station licensed to West Palm Beach, Florida, United States, serving the Gold and Treasure Coasts of South Florida. CBS12.com is the website for the television station that provides news and information for the local area.
Funded by / Ownership
In 2011, WPEC was bought by Sinclair Broadcast Group, a publicly-traded American telecommunications company controlled by the family of company founder Julian Sinclair Smith. The company is the largest television station operator in the United States by a number of stations, and largest by total coverage; owning or operating a total of 193 stations across the country (233 after all currently proposed sales are approved) in over 100 markets (covering 40% of American households), many of which are located in the South and Midwest.
Sinclair has been scrutinized by multiple media outlets for consistently favoring conservative politics. They are considered a rival to right biased Fox News for the conservative audience. The Seattle Times has written a piece documenting Sinclair’s right-wing bias. Further, according to the Center for Responsive Politics (Open Secrets), the Sinclair Broadcast Group has donated $1,143,508 or 80% to Republican candidates since 1994.
Finally, in March 2018, Sinclair ordered its stations to produce promos with an “anchor delivered journalistic responsibility message” dictated by the company. The wording of the mandated script was criticized by some station news staff and outside pundits for its discussion of “fake news,” with some critics arguing that the message used similar language and rhetoric to Donald Trump. Trump responded to the promos on April 2, 2018, defending the company as being “far superior to CNN and even more Fake NBC, which is a total joke.”
Revenue is generated through advertising and cable subscription fees.
Analysis / Bias
In review, CBS12.com reports local news on the website with minimal bias such as this: Speeding couple gets baby delivery help, not ticket. National and World news is syndicated through the Associated Press. Editorially, op-eds tend to favor the right, with minimal criticism of President Trump: Florida GOP hearts Trump. Other opinion-based commentary tends to lean slightly right, though there is a reasonable balance. In general, CBS12.com reports news accurately and with minimal bias.
Failed Fact Checks
- None in the Last 5 years
Overall, we rate WPEC – CBS12.com slightly Right-Center Biased based on editorial positions and High for factual reporting due to proper sourcing and a clean fact check record. (D. Van Zandt 10/2/2019) Updated (09/20/2022)
Last Updated on September 20, 2022 by Media Bias Fact Check
The Latest from MBFC Bias and Fact Checks - Media News
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 10/05/2022by Media Bias/Fact Check on October 5, 2022 at 10:30 am
- Daily Source Bias Check: Tenth Amendment Centerby Media Bias/Fact Check on October 5, 2022 at 8:00 am
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 10/04/2022by Media Bias/Fact Check on October 4, 2022 at 10:30 am
- Daily Source Bias Check: NBC New Yorkby Media Bias/Fact Check on October 4, 2022 at 8:00 am
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 10/03/2022by Media Bias/Fact Check on October 3, 2022 at 10:30 am
- Daily Source Bias Check: Emirates 24/7by Media Bias/Fact Check on October 3, 2022 at 8:01 am