These media sources have a slight to moderate liberal bias. They often publish factual information that utilizes loaded words (wording that attempts to influence an audience by appealing to emotion or stereotypes) to favor liberal causes. These sources are generally trustworthy for information but may require further investigation. See all Left-Center sources.
- Overall, we rate Atlanta Black Star Left-Center Biased based on editorial positions that moderately favor the left. We also rate them Mostly Factual rather than High due to a failed fact check and mostly one-sided reporting.
Bias Rating: LEFT-CENTER
Factual Reporting: MOSTLY FACTUAL
Press Freedom Rating: MOSTLY FREE
Media Type: Website
Traffic/Popularity: High Traffic
MBFC Credibility Rating: HIGH CREDIBILITY
Founded in 2012, The Atlanta Blackstar is a website that mainly focuses on the African American perspective regarding politics. The co-founders of Atlanta Black Star are Neil Nelson, Tracy Dornelly, and Andre Moore. According to their about page, “Atlanta Black Star is a narrative company. We publish narratives intentionally and specifically to enlighten and transform the world.”
Funded by / Ownership
Diamond Diaspora Media, registered to Neil Nelson, owns the Atlanta Black Star. Advertising and donations generate revenue.
Analysis / Bias
Editorially, they are sometimes balanced in presenting different political perspectives, such as this opinion piece where a writer supports preserving confederate monuments, which is a right-wing position, and this one where they are highly critical of Donald Trump. They also frequently report negatively on conservatives such as this ‘Shame on You’: Toyota Faces Calls for Boycott After It’s Reported That Company Donated to Republicans Who Objected to Certifying Presidential Election.
Articles and headlines contain moderately emotional wording such as this ‘We Suffer Disproportionately High Rates of Anxiety’: Why Brown Girl Jane Built a Business Around Providing CBD Products Specific to Black Women’s Wellness but is well-sourced. In general, Atlanta Black Star is mostly factual and reports with a left-leaning bias.
Failed Fact Checks
- His name is Jason Robert Pope, and he sex-trafficked nearly 700 women, ALL BLACK, with some as young as 13 years old and infected them with aids. – False
Overall, we rate Atlanta Black Star Left-Center Biased based on editorial positions that moderately favor the left. We also rate them Mostly Factual rather than High due to a failed fact check and mostly one-sided reporting. (M. Huitsing 8/24/2017) Updated (7/28/2021)
Last Updated on March 15, 2022 by Media Bias Fact Check
The Latest from MBFC Bias and Fact Checks - Media News
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 06/28/2022by Media Bias/Fact Check on June 28, 2022 at 10:30 am
- Daily Source Bias Check: Chronicles Magazineby Media Bias/Fact Check on June 28, 2022 at 8:00 am
- Clarence Thomas signals interest in making it easier to sue mediaby Media Bias/Fact Check on June 27, 2022 at 4:23 pm
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 06/27/2022by Media Bias/Fact Check on June 27, 2022 at 10:30 am
- Daily Source Bias Check: Kenosha Newsby Media Bias/Fact Check on June 27, 2022 at 8:00 am
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 06/26/2022by Media Bias/Fact Check on June 26, 2022 at 10:30 am