These sources have minimal bias and use very few loaded words (wording that attempts to influence an audience by using appeal to emotion or stereotypes). The reporting is factual and usually sourced. These are the most credible media sources. See all Least Biased Sources.
- Overall, we rate Atlas Obscura Least Biased based on non-political coverage and High for factual reporting due to proper sourcing and a clean fact check record.
Factual Reporting: HIGH
World Press Freedom Rank: USA 48/180
Founded in 2009, Atlas Obscura is an online magazine and travel company led by American journalist David Plotz. It catalogs unusual and obscure travel destinations via user-generated content. Atlas Obscura states their “mission is to inspire wonder and curiosity about the incredible world we all share.” The current editor-in-chief is Sommer Mathis.
Funded by / Ownership
The website is owned by Atlas Obscura Inc. Revenue is derived through advertising, book sales, sponsored trips and events.
Analysis / Bias
In review, Atlas Obscura publishes information on interesting destinations and food. The main feature of the website is their user generated “The definitive map of the world’s extraordinary sights“, which feature interesting destinations that people have visited. The website also features lists such as this: 7 Places Worth Trying to See on a Visit to the Korean DMZ. This list is properly sourced. When it comes to political bias, this website does not cover politics and therefore is classified as least biased.
A factual search reveals they have not failed a fact check.
Overall, we rate Atlas Obscura Least Biased based on non-political coverage and High for factual reporting due to proper sourcing and a clean fact check record. (D. Van Zandt 11/13/2019)
Last Updated on February 23, 2020 by Media Bias Fact Check
News Facts Network Verified Factual News
- Finland will apply for NATO membership, president says, in historic move for traditionally neutral countryby newsfactsnetwork on May 15, 2022 at 11:56 am
- Gov. Hochul demands responsibility from social media companies after Buffalo shooting was live-streamedby newsfactsnetwork on May 15, 2022 at 11:54 am
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 05/15/2022by Media Bias Fact Check on May 15, 2022 at 10:15 am
- The Buffalo supermarket shooting suspect posted an apparent manifesto repeatedly citing ‘Great Replacement’ theoryby Media Bias Fact Check on May 15, 2022 at 9:43 am
- MBFC’s Daily Source Bias Check: Rodong Sinmunby Media Bias Fact Check on May 15, 2022 at 7:26 am