These media sources have a slight to moderate liberal bias. They often publish factual information that utilizes loaded words (wording that attempts to influence an audience by appeals to emotion or stereotypes) to favor liberal causes. These sources are generally trustworthy for information but may require further investigation. See all Left-Center sources.
- Overall, we rate CBS News Left-Center biased based on story selection that moderately favors the left and High for factual reporting due to proper sourcing.
Bias Rating: LEFT-CENTER
Factual Reporting: HIGH
Press Freedom Rank: MOSTLY FREE
Media Type: TV Station
Traffic/Popularity: High Traffic
MBFC Credibility Rating: HIGH CREDIBILITY
Founded in 1929, CBS News is the news division of American television and radio service CBS. CBS News has multiple television broadcasts: CBS Evening News, CBS This Morning, news magazine programs CBS Sunday Morning, 60 Minutes and 48 Hours, and Sunday morning political affairs program Face the Nation. They also have CBS Radio News, which is broadcast on 100’s of radio stations in the USA, and a 24-hour digital news network, CBSN.
Funded by / Ownership
CBS News is a subsidiary of ViacomCBS, which National Amusements, Inc owns. They are operated by the third-generation leadership of the Redstone family. The President of National Amusements and chairwoman of the company is Shari Ellin Redstone. Revenue is derived through advertising.
Analysis / Bias
CBS News is considered a mainstream USA media source that reports news with a left-leaning bias in story selection. In other words, they are more likely to report on a story that is favorable to the left or more critical of the right. However, they always source their information correctly and cover both sides of stories. The wording of headlines utilizes minimal loaded words such as this: Trump denies advance knowledge of son’s meeting with Russian lawyer.
A 2014 Pew Research Survey found that 40% of CBS News’ audience is consistently or primarily liberal, 39% Mixed, and 20% consistently or mostly conservative. This indicates that a more liberal audience prefers them. Further, a Reuters institute survey found that 48% of respondents trust their news coverage and 31% do not, ranking them #1 in trust of the major USA news providers.
Failed Fact Checks
- None in the Last 5 years
Overall, we rate CBS News Left-Center biased based on story selection that moderately favors the left and High for factual reporting due to proper sourcing. (5/16/2016) Updated (D. Van Zandt 03/22/2022)
Last Updated on March 23, 2022 by Media Bias Fact Check
News Facts Network Verified Factual News
- Finnish, Swedish Lawmakers To Debate NATO Membership As Moscow Warns Nordic NATO Plans A ‘Grave Mistake’by Media Bias Fact Check on May 16, 2022 at 12:06 pm
- Conservative media is familiar with Buffalo suspect’s alleged ‘theory’by newsfactsnetwork on May 16, 2022 at 11:48 am
- More mass shootings are happening at grocery stores — 13% of shooters are motivated by race, criminologists findby Media Bias Fact Check on May 16, 2022 at 11:40 am
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 05/16/2022by Media Bias Fact Check on May 16, 2022 at 10:15 am
- MBFC’s Daily Source Bias Check: Infobaeby Media Bias Fact Check on May 16, 2022 at 7:09 am