These media sources have a slight to moderate liberal bias. They often publish factual information that utilizes loaded words (wording that attempts to influence an audience by using appeal to emotion or stereotypes) to favor liberal causes. These sources are generally trustworthy for information, but may require further investigation. See all Left-Center sources.
- Overall, we rate the Sunlight Foundation Left-Center Biased based on policy positions that mostly favor the left. We also rate them High for factual reporting due to proper sourcing and a clean fact check record.
Factual Reporting: HIGH
World Press Freedom Rank: USA 45/180
The Sunlight Foundation is an American organization that advocates for open government. The organization was founded in April 2006 with the goal of increasing transparency and accountability in the United States Congress, the executive branch, and in state and local governments. The foundation’s primary focus is the role of money in politics. The organization seeks to increase campaign finance regulations and disclosure requirements.
According to their about page one of their missions is to “include reporting on President Trump’s conflicts of interest, ethics, and transparency in the federal government, monitoring federal data integrity.”
Funded by / Ownership
The Sunlight Foundation is a 501(c)(3), nonprofit with donors that include the Open Society Foundations, The Pew Charitable Trusts, the John S. and James L. Knight Foundation, the Rockefeller Foundation, the Ford Foundation, the William and Flora Hewlett Foundation, the Omidyar Network, Bloomberg Philanthropies, and the Laura and John Arnold Foundation. The website openly discloses their largest donors.
Analysis / Bias
In review, The Sunlight Foundation publishes information that promotes transparency and ways to achieve greater Democratic participation. The website features their web integrity project, which monitors changes to government websites. They also engage in advocacy with both congress and the executive branch. Further, the website features a blog that publishes related news with a left-leaning bias through story selection such as this: Changes to Department of Labor and Healthcare.gov websites foreshadowed formal LGBTQ policy shifts. This story is properly sourced to the New York Times and the Department of Labor. The website frequently reports on the Trump Administration and most times it is not in a favorable light, This Week in Conflicts: A Whistleblower Complaint, the Fight for Trump’s Taxes and an Emoluments Lawsuit Revived.
Editorially, the primary position of the Sunlight Foundation is for more regulation and limitations regarding campaign finance. For example, they are very opposed to Citizens United, which allowed an unregulated influx of money into elections from corporations and labor unions. In general, The Sunlight Foundation is factual and holds left-leaning policy positions.
Failed Fact Checks
- None in the Last 5 years
Overall, we rate the Sunlight Foundation Left-Center Biased based on policy positions that mostly favor the left. We also rate them High for factual reporting due to proper sourcing and a clean fact check record. (D. Van Zandt 7/10/2016) Updated (2/20/2020)
Last Updated on January 25, 2021 by Media Bias Fact Check
News Facts Network Verified Factual News
- Finnish, Swedish Lawmakers To Debate NATO Membership As Moscow Warns Nordic NATO Plans A ‘Grave Mistake’by Media Bias Fact Check on May 16, 2022 at 12:06 pm
- Conservative media is familiar with Buffalo suspect’s alleged ‘theory’by newsfactsnetwork on May 16, 2022 at 11:48 am
- More mass shootings are happening at grocery stores — 13% of shooters are motivated by race, criminologists findby Media Bias Fact Check on May 16, 2022 at 11:40 am
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 05/16/2022by Media Bias Fact Check on May 16, 2022 at 10:15 am
- MBFC’s Daily Source Bias Check: Infobaeby Media Bias Fact Check on May 16, 2022 at 7:09 am