These media sources have a slight to moderate liberal bias. They often publish factual information that utilizes loaded words (wording that attempts to influence an audience by appealing to emotion or stereotypes) to favor liberal causes. These sources are generally trustworthy for information but may require further investigation. See all Left-Center sources.
- Overall, we rate the Electronic Frontier Foundation (EFF) Left-Center biased based on editorial positions that slightly favor the left. We also rate them High for factual reporting due to proper sourcing and a clean fact check record.
Bias Rating: LEFT-CENTER
Factual Reporting: HIGH
Country: USA (44/180 Press Freedom)
Media Type: Organization/Foundation
Traffic/Popularity: Medium Traffic
MBFC Credibility Rating: HIGH CREDIBILITY
Founded in 1990, The Electronic Frontier Foundation (EFF) is an international non-profit digital rights group based in San Francisco, California. The EFF is dedicated to the defense of free speech, protection of privacy, and consumer rights for internet users. They have been described as the online equivalent of the American Civil Liberties Union. According to their about page, “EFF champions user privacy, free expression, and innovation through impact litigation, policy analysis, grassroots activism, and technology development. EFF’s mission is to ensure that technology supports freedom, justice, and innovation for all people of the world.”
Funded by / Ownership
The Electronic Frontier Foundation operates as a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization. Donations generate revenue, and EFF is fully transparent. They also score 4/4 stars from Charity Navigator. However, they have been criticized for being funded and lobbying for Silicon Valley.
Analysis / Bias
The EFF provides funds for legal defenses of individuals and new technologies from abusive legal threats. They also work to expose government interference and corruption. The website states their issues as Free Speech, Privacy, Creativity and Innovation, Transparency, International and Security. EFF also provides press releases, events, information on legal cases, and white papers.
The organization publishes news and analysis with minimal bias, such as this Supreme Court Overturns Overbroad Interpretation of CFAA, Protecting Security Researchers and Everyday Users. The EFF’s Deeplinks blog delves into politics, especially as it relates to cases against the government. For example, they have provided analysis on what the Trump administration meant for the first amendment and civil rights, often with a negative tone Dangers of Trump’s Executive Order Explained. However, when reporting on Democratic President Joe Biden, they have a more favorable tone asking him to change Trump-era policies EFF’s Top Recommendations for the Biden Administration. All information reviewed is properly sourced, factual, and leans left in bias.
Failed Fact Checks
- None in the Last 5 years
Overall, we rate the Electronic Frontier Foundation (EFF) Left-Center biased based on editorial positions that slightly favor the left. We also rate them High for factual reporting due to proper sourcing and a clean fact check record. (D. Van Zandt 6/25/2017) Updated (6/7/2021)
Last Updated on June 7, 2021 by Media Bias Fact Check
News Facts Network Verified Factual News
- Taliban enforces face-cover order for female TV anchorsby newsfactsnetwork on May 22, 2022 at 2:43 pm
- Japanese and U.S. officials walk out of APEC meet to protest Russiaby newsfactsnetwork on May 22, 2022 at 11:34 am
- Monkeypox is a ‘concern for everybody’ and US is looking into treatments and vaccines, says Bidenby newsfactsnetwork on May 22, 2022 at 11:26 am
- Hillary Clinton approved Trump-Russia leak to media, campaign manager saysby newsfactsnetwork on May 22, 2022 at 11:22 am
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 05/22/2022by Media Bias Fact Check on May 22, 2022 at 10:15 am