These media sources are moderately to strongly biased toward conservative causes through story selection and/or political affiliation. They may utilize strong loaded words (wording that attempts to influence an audience by using appeal to emotion or stereotypes), publish misleading reports, and omit information that may damage conservative causes. Some sources in this category may be untrustworthy. See all Right Bias sources.
- Overall, we rate RedState borderline Questionable and strongly Right Biased, based on story selection that always favors the right and use of emotionally loaded (sensationalized) headlines. We also rate them Mixed for factual reporting due to poor sourcing of information and several failed fact checks.
Bias Rating: RIGHT
Factual Reporting: MIXED
Press Freedom Rank: MOSTLY FREE
Media Type: Website
Traffic/Popularity: High Traffic
MBFC Credibility Rating: MEDIUM CREDIBILITY
Founded in 2004, RedState is a conservative news and opinion website. Until 2015, conservative radio and TV commentator Erick Erickson was editor-in-chief. The website does not have an about page and does not list a current editor.
In 2019, three senior contributors for RedState resigned after they noticed that they did not promote articles critical of President Trump via social media. In an article for The Bulwark.com, titled Why We Are Quitting RedState, Kimberly Ross and Andrea Ruth stated that “it’s hard not to note the irony that Salem Media, a company that targets “audiences interested in Christian and family-themed content and conservative values,” threw its full support behind Donald Trump, a thrice-married lying philanderer who utilized bankruptcy laws and debt to con tenants and contractors out of their money. Salem now promotes anyone who is pro-Trump, even if those people gleefully flout Christian principles.”
Funded by / Ownership
RedState is a part of Townhall Media, comprised of 4 other conservative media sources: Townhall, Bearing Arms, Hot Air, and Twitchy. Townhall Media is owned by Salem Media Group, which owns numerous right-leaning Christian-based radio stations across the USA. According to Open Secrets, Salem Media Group donates 100% to Republicans and right-leaning PACS. The website is funded through online advertising.
Analysis / Bias
In review, RedState is a conservative news and opinion website that publishes content with a borderline extreme right-wing bias. Nearly every article utilizes strongly emotional wording such as this: The Press Screwed The Pooch Covering The Collusion Hoax So Why Are They Congratulating Themselves. Sourcing on this article is poor. In another extremely loaded emotional article, Dispatches From The Democratic Clown Show- 2020, the author disclaims, “This article is intentionally satirical and farcical, but sadly has shreds of truth sprinkled throughout.” As mentioned above, RedState publishes daily propaganda supporting Former President Trump, with little regard for facts such as this: President Trump: Mueller Report Contains Some Statements That Are ‘Total Bulls**T, Fabricated.’ While this may be true or untrue, there is zero proof to back the President’s assertions. In general, all stories favor the right and denigrate the left with extremely loaded emotional language.
Failed Fact Checks
- Republican candidate for governor Nathan Deal “explicitly voted to fund abortions …” – False
- Beto O’Rourke’s campaign asked a Veterans of Foreign Wars post commander if American flags could be taken down ahead of an event. – Unproven
- Marjory Stoneman Douglas student David Hogg was caught lying about being on campus during a February 2018 school shooting when he told CBS that he had to get on his bicycle and ride to school. – False
- Facebook tried to “shut down” the campaign to recall California Gov. Gavin Newsom. – False
- Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez lied about her location during the U.S. Capitol riot. – False
Overall, we rate RedState borderline Questionable and strongly Right Biased, based on story selection that always favors the right and use of emotionally loaded (sensationalized) headlines. We also rate them Mixed for factual reporting due to poor sourcing of information and several failed fact checks. (7/19/2016) Updated (D. Van Zandt 10/18/2021)
Last Updated on December 18, 2022 by Media Bias Fact Check