These media sources are slightly to moderately conservative in bias. They often publish factual information that utilizes loaded words (wording that attempts to influence an audience by appealing to emotion or stereotypes) to favor conservative causes. These sources are generally trustworthy for information but may require further investigation. See all Right-Center sources.
- Overall, we rate the Bulwark Right-Center Biased based on story selection and political affiliation that moderately favors the right. We also rate them High for factual reporting due to proper sourcing and a clean fact check record.
Bias Rating: RIGHT-CENTER
Factual Reporting: HIGH
Country: USA (44/180 Press Freedom)
Media Type: Website
Traffic/Popularity: Medium Traffic
MBFC Credibility Rating: HIGH CREDIBILITY
Founded in 2018 by Charlie Sykes and William Kristol, The Bulwark is a news and opinion website featuring many staff from the now-defunct right-leaning Weekly Standard. The Weekly Standard editor-in-chief Charlie Sykes said, “the murder of the Standard made it urgently necessary to create a home for rational, principled, fact-based center-right voices who Trumpism did not cow.”
Funded by / Ownership
The Bulwark is a Defending Democracy Together Institute project, a 501(c)(3) conservative advocacy group led in part by The Weekly Standard co-founder William Kristol. The Bulwark and its parent company Defending Democracy Together Institute, is funded through donations. According to the right-leaning Influence Watch, Defending Democracy Together is a right-center advocacy organization primarily funded by the left-center Hewitt Foundation that is described as a “nonprofit dedicated to incubating and assembling pro-democracy voices. . . created by conservatives uncomfortable with the flamboyant rhetoric that can come from President Trump.”
Analysis / Bias
In review, The Bulwark has essentially started where the Weekly Standard left off, which is as a conservative publisher who did not support former President Trump. Please do not confuse this with a left-biased source. They are a right-leaning source and reject most progressive and mainstream democratic ideals. For example, they use moderately loaded words that denigrate Hillary Clinton: If Hillary Clinton Doesn’t Shut Up, She’ll Re-Elect Trump. Despite the loaded headline, this story is properly sourced to Know Your Meme and the Washington Post. Besides original reporting, the website also features a news aggregator that sources a variety of left, least biased, and right-leaning sources. In general, this is a moderate right-leaning source that does not support Trump. It might not be the Weekly Standard 2.0, but it is pretty close and a credible source for right-leaning information.
Failed Fact Checks
- None in the Last 5 years
Overall, we rate the Bulwark Right-Center Biased based on story selection and political affiliation that moderately favors the right. We also rate them High for factual reporting due to proper sourcing and a clean fact check record. (D. Van Zandt 4/30/2019) Updated (5/23/2021)
Last Updated on May 23, 2021 by Media Bias Fact Check
The Latest from MBFC Bias and Fact Checks - Media News
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 10/03/2022by Media Bias/Fact Check on October 3, 2022 at 10:30 am
- Daily Source Bias Check: Emirates 24/7by Media Bias/Fact Check on October 3, 2022 at 8:01 am
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 10/02/2022by Media Bias/Fact Check on October 2, 2022 at 10:30 am
- Daily Source Bias Check: Out Magazineby Media Bias/Fact Check on October 2, 2022 at 8:00 am
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 10/01/2022by Media Bias/Fact Check on October 1, 2022 at 10:30 am
- Daily Source Bias Check: The Republic (Indiana)by Media Bias/Fact Check on October 1, 2022 at 8:00 am