These sources have minimal bias and use very few loaded words (wording that attempts to influence an audience by appeals to emotion or stereotypes). The reporting is factual and usually sourced. These are the most credible media sources. See all Least Biased Sources.
- Overall, we rate Mint Newspaper Least Biased based on balanced story selection with minimal editorializing. We also rate them Mixed for factual reporting due to a lack of outside hyperlinked sourcing and a failed fact check.
Bias Rating: LEAST BIASED
Factual Reporting: MIXED
Press Freedom Rating: LIMITED FREEDOM
Media Type: Newspaper
Traffic/Popularity: High Traffic
MBFC Credibility Rating: MEDIUM CREDIBILITY
Launched in 2007 by Raju Narisetti, Mint is a financial newspaper based in India. Livemint.com is Mint’s online portal and focuses mainly on business news, money, politics, markets, and sports. Mint also has a premium weekend magazine, Lounge, that focuses on lifestyle and entertainment.
Funded by / Ownership
HT Media, an Indian mass media company owned by the KK Birla family, owns and publishes Mint and the Hindustan Times. Mrs. Shobhana Bhartia is the owner, Chairperson, and Editorial Director of HT Media Ltd. She is the daughter of industrialist Krishna Kumar Birla. Advertising and subscription fees generate revenue.
Analysis / Bias
Narendra Modi is the current Prime Minister and the right-wing nationalist party BJP leader. Some articles and headlines use minimally loaded wording such as this “PMGKAY ensures nobody sleeps on an empty stomach: PM Modi.” While others use a more critical tone, “The rooftop eclipse on India’s solar ambitions.” For the most part, they do not harshly criticize the Prime Minister.
Livemint.com also covers the opposition parties, such as Congress’s interim President Sonia Gandhi “How to prepare and fight unitedly: What Ghulam Nabi Azad discussed with Sonia Gandhi.” A quote from the article reads, “The members of the dissenting group in the Congress have held a series of meetings since 16 March, upset with the stance of the Gandhi-family loyalists at 13 March’s meeting of the Congress Working Committee.”
When covering world news about the USA, they tend to cover the Biden admin negatively, such as “US President Joe Biden curses reporter after he asks about inflation.” They used Reuters as their source; however, they changed the headline and wrote this disclaimer “This story has been published from a wire agency feed without modifications to the text. Only the headline has been changed.”
When it comes to sourcing information, Livemint.com typically sources by using hyperlinks to itself and utilizing PTI (The Press Trust of India Ltd.,) an Indian news agency.
Editorially, they generally remain neutral by offering very little criticism of PM Modi, such as this Ruling BJP aces crucial test ahead of the 2024 general election; however, they also present socially liberal views such as Women from minority groups get unfair work loads too often. As a financial paper, they present fiscally conservative views regarding taxation, such as this Chennai residents to pay 50-150% more as TN effects massive property tax hike. In general, they lightly cover both sides being careful not to criticize the ruling or opposition parties, which result in self-censorship.
Failed Fact Checks
- Anastasia Lenna, former Miss Ukraine, announced on Instagram that she joined the Ukrainian military to defend her country. – False
Overall, we rate Mint Newspaper Least Biased based on balanced story selection with minimal editorializing. We also rate them Mixed for factual reporting due to a lack of outside hyperlinked sourcing and a failed fact check. (M. Huitsing 04/20/2022)
Last Updated on April 20, 2022 by Media Bias Fact Check
The Latest from MBFC Bias and Fact Checks - Media News
- Facebook takes down Russian network impersonating European news outletsby Media Bias/Fact Check on September 27, 2022 at 1:45 pm
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 09/27/2022by Media Bias/Fact Check on September 27, 2022 at 10:30 am
- Daily Source Bias Check: Electronic Frontier Foundationby Media Bias/Fact Check on September 27, 2022 at 8:00 am
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 09/26/2022by Media Bias/Fact Check on September 26, 2022 at 10:30 am
- Daily Source Bias Check: End the Fedby Media Bias/Fact Check on September 26, 2022 at 8:00 am
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 09/25/2022by Media Bias/Fact Check on September 25, 2022 at 10:30 am