Reasoning: Propaganda, Conspiracy, Hate Group
Bias Rating: EXTREME RIGHT
Factual Reporting: LOW
Country: USA (44/180 Press Freedom)
Media Type: Newspaper
Traffic/Popularity: Minimal Traffic
MBFC Credibility Rating: LOW CREDIBILITY
The Remnant is a Traditionalist Catholic newspaper published twice a month in the United States. Although its editors are not affiliated with any particular institute or traditionalist group, the paper is sympathetic to Archbishop Marcel Lefebvre and the Society of St. Pius X. Founded in 1968, it is the oldest Traditionalist Catholic newspaper in the United States.
Funded by / Ownership
The Remnant Inc. owns the newspaper and website. Advertising, donations, and subscription fees generate revenue.
Analysis / Bias
The Remnant is considered an active “Radical Traditionalist Catholic” hate group by the Southern Poverty Law Center. According to the SPLC, the Remnant is intolerant toward Jews through Holocaust denial and the claim that he will be a Jew when the Anti-Christ arrives. The Remnant also holds anti-LGBTQ views. Further, they endorse the New World Order conspiracy theory; however, they believe Zionists run the New World Order. The editors of The Remnant reject the claim that they are a hate group.
In review, The Remnant has an extreme right-wing bias in story selection that always favors the right. They strongly endorsed former president Donald Trump and his policies. The Remnant uses loaded words in headlines/articles and typically doesn’t use hyperlinked sourcing. Further, The Remnant does not support the consensus of science regarding climate change and even goes so far as to call it a hoax.
Failed Fact Checks
- No third-party fact-checks were found.
Overall, we rate The Remnant Questionable based on extreme right bias, promotion of propaganda and conspiracy theories, and others labeling them a hate group. (D. Van Zandt 12/09/2017) Updated (8/25/2021)
Last Updated on August 25, 2021 by Media Bias Fact Check
The Latest from MBFC Bias and Fact Checks - Media News
- Daily Source Bias Check: NBC New Yorkby Media Bias/Fact Check on October 4, 2022 at 8:00 am
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 10/03/2022by Media Bias/Fact Check on October 3, 2022 at 10:30 am
- Daily Source Bias Check: Emirates 24/7by Media Bias/Fact Check on October 3, 2022 at 8:01 am
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 10/02/2022by Media Bias/Fact Check on October 2, 2022 at 10:30 am
- Daily Source Bias Check: Out Magazineby Media Bias/Fact Check on October 2, 2022 at 8:00 am
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 10/01/2022by Media Bias/Fact Check on October 1, 2022 at 10:30 am