These media sources are moderate to strongly biased toward conservative causes through story selection and/or political affiliation. They may utilize strong loaded words (wording that attempts to influence an audience by using appeal to emotion or stereotypes), publish misleading reports, and omit information reporting that may damage conservative causes. Some sources in this category may be untrustworthy. See all Right Bias sources.
- Overall, we rate First Things Right Biased based on political positions that favor the right and Mixed for factual reporting due to poor sources and questionable science positions.
Bias Rating: RIGHT
Factual Reporting: MIXED
Press Freedom Rating: MOSTLY FREE
Media Type: Magazine
Traffic/Popularity: Medium Traffic
MBFC Credibility Rating: MEDIUM CREDIBILITY
According to their about page: “First Things is a magazine and website published by the Institute on Religion and Public Life, an interreligious, nonpartisan research and educational 501(c)(3) organization. The Institute was founded in 1989 by Richard John Neuhaus and his colleagues to confront the ideology of secularism, which insists that the public square must be “naked” and that faith has no place in shaping the public conversation or in shaping public policy.”
Funded by / Ownership
The Institute on Religion and Public Life, a nonprofit, owns and publishes First Things. Donations, subscription fees, and a store that sells merchandise generate revenue.
Analysis / Bias
In review, First Things is a Neoconservative magazine and website that has a right-wing bias in reporting. There is moderate use of loaded words in both headlines and articles such as this: ROY MOORE’S RIDICULOUS DEFENSE OF MARRIAGE. Don’t let this headline fool you; it is actually in support of Moore’s anti-gay marriage stance. In general, First Things holds positions typical of the Christian right such as: Pro-life, and negative toward Islam. Most articles are appropriately sourced; however, they sometimes use Questionable sources such as Life Site News, which has an extreme right wing bias in opposition to gay marriage and abortion.
Failed Fact Checks
- None in the Last 5 years
Overall, we rate First Things Right Biased based on political positions that favor the right and Mixed for factual reporting due to poor sources and questionable science positions. (D. Van Zandt 5/6/2018) Updated (01/31/2022)
Last Updated on January 31, 2022 by Media Bias Fact Check
The Latest from MBFC Bias and Fact Checks - Media News
- Daily Source Bias Check: Emirates 24/7by Media Bias/Fact Check on October 3, 2022 at 8:01 am
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 10/02/2022by Media Bias/Fact Check on October 2, 2022 at 10:30 am
- Daily Source Bias Check: Out Magazineby Media Bias/Fact Check on October 2, 2022 at 8:00 am
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 10/01/2022by Media Bias/Fact Check on October 1, 2022 at 10:30 am
- Daily Source Bias Check: The Republic (Indiana)by Media Bias/Fact Check on October 1, 2022 at 8:00 am
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 09/30/2022by Media Bias/Fact Check on September 30, 2022 at 10:30 am