These media sources are moderately to strongly biased toward conservative causes through story selection and/or political affiliation. They may utilize strong loaded words (wording that attempts to influence an audience by using appeal to emotion or stereotypes), publish misleading reports and omit reporting of information that may damage conservative causes. Some sources in this category may be untrustworthy. See all Right Bias sources.
- Overall, we rate Standpoint Magazine Right Biased due to word and story choices that favor the Right and mixed factually due to poor sourcing.
Factual Reporting: MIXED
Country: United Kingdom
World Press Freedom Rank: UK 35/180
Launched in May 2008, Standpoint Magazine is a monthly cultural and political magazine published by Social Affairs Unit Magazines Ltd, a right-wing think tank based in London, UK.
Standpoint Magazine was founded by Daniel Johnson and he is the current director. Standpoint Magazine describes itself as “the only magazine that is dedicated to the defense of Western civilization, the values we have inherited from our Judaeo-Christian, classical, medieval, Renaissance and Enlightenment past.” Standpoint Magazine covers politics, religion, science, the arts, and the humanities.
Funded by / Ownership
Standpoint Magazine is funded through online advertising, donations, and subscription rates.
Analysis / Bias
Regarding US politics their word choices are pro-Trump. The following is a quote from an article: “President Trump may not be the ideal leader of the free world. But he understands what is at stake, he knows what must be done and he has the willpower to see it through. It is time for the high-minded to set aside their low expectations and judge Mr Trump by his actions rather than his words. There is a method in his “madman diplomacy”. And it seems to be working.“
On national politics, the editorial opinion of Standpoint Magazine is conservative, usually supporting Theresa May. In this article they are drawing parallels between May and Thatcher with this quote: “Mrs May shares the same instinct: she sides with the little people who often struggle to survive in a global marketplace. Like Mrs Thatcher, she believes in a property-owning democracy, a nation in which hard work and solid achievement, rather than slick presentation or nifty networking, are rewarded. Like Mrs Thatcher, her parents were too poor to pay school fees.”
When soliciting for donations, Standpoint utilizes conservative fears over terrorism and immigration as a threat to society: “In the era of global terrorism and uncontrolled migration, internal and external threats to our values and identity, that mission to preserve Western civilization has never been more necessary.”
Standpoint does not source their information well, using quotes rather than hyperlinked or MLA formatted sourcing.
Overall, we rate Standpoint Magazine Right Biased due to word and story choices that favor the Right and mixed factually due to poor sourcing. (M. Huitsing 5/17/2018) Updated (11/10/2018)
Last Updated on August 18, 2020 by Media Bias Fact Check
The Latest from MBFC Bias and Fact Checks - Media News
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 10/03/2022by Media Bias/Fact Check on October 3, 2022 at 10:30 am
- Daily Source Bias Check: Emirates 24/7by Media Bias/Fact Check on October 3, 2022 at 8:01 am
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 10/02/2022by Media Bias/Fact Check on October 2, 2022 at 10:30 am
- Daily Source Bias Check: Out Magazineby Media Bias/Fact Check on October 2, 2022 at 8:00 am
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 10/01/2022by Media Bias/Fact Check on October 1, 2022 at 10:30 am
- Daily Source Bias Check: The Republic (Indiana)by Media Bias/Fact Check on October 1, 2022 at 8:00 am