These media sources are slightly to moderately conservative in bias. They often publish factual information that utilizes loaded words (wording that attempts to influence an audience by using appeal to emotion or stereotypes) to favor conservative causes. These sources are generally trustworthy for information, but may require further investigation. See all Right-Center sources.
- Overall, we rate To Vima Right-Center Biased based on story selection and editorial positions that currently favor the right. We also rate them Mixed for factual reporting due to a lack of transparency regarding ownership, poor sourcing, and a few failed fact checks.
Bias Rating: RIGHT-CENTER
Factual Reporting: MIXED
Press Freedom Rating: LIMITED FREEDOM
Media Type: Newspaper
Traffic/Popularity: High Traffic
MBFC Credibility Rating: MEDIUM CREDIBILITY
Founded in 1922 by Dimitris Lambrakis, Georgios Roussos, Alexandros Diomidis, Emmanouil Tsouderos originally as Eleftheron Vima, later renamed To Vima, is a Greek newspaper based in Athens, Greece. In 2017 Alter Ego Media S.A. acquired the publisher and owner Lambrakis Press Group (DOL).
Funded by / Ownership
Ownership information is not transparent. To Vima is published by Alter Ego Media S.A. (no website) which is owned by shipowner Evangelos Marinakis. Revenue is derived through advertising and subscription fees.
Analysis / Bias
To Vima was known to have a center-left stance, however, the new owner businessman Evangelos Marinakisis, according to an article published by The Nation, is known for “His close friendship and family ties with the Mitsotakis family.” Kyriakos Mitsotakis is the current center-right Prime Minister of Greece and is the son of former Prime Minister Konstantinos Mitsotakis.
In review, To Vima uses minimally emotional worded headlines such as “What the Turkish ambassador to Athens said about the tripartite Berlin, Hagia Sophia and EEZ”. When covering national politics To Vima publishes articles that are critical in tone towards opposition left-wing party leader Alexis Tsipras and favorable towards center-right Mitsotakis “SYRIZA raises the spectre of a New Democracy neo-liberal restoration”. A quote from the article reads “As he did in the European Parliament election, Tsipras himself is taking the lead in the campaign for the simple reason that despite all his broken promises and tragic policy errors – especially in the first six months of his first term but also in economic policy.” Another article is favorable to the current Prime Minister “Mitsotakis calls for unity, personal responsibility, the cooperation of Archbishop to limit COVID-19”. To Vima covers the Trump administration critically “Editorial: Messages of the US elections.”
When it comes to sourcing they utilize sister news websites such as In.gr (owned by Alter Ego Media S.A.), however most sourcing consists of quotes without hyperlinking. In general, To Vima holds a right-leaning editorial bias and does not always report news factually.
Failed Fact Checks
- Meeting of bodies that took place at the Headquarters (Macedonia-Thrace Undersecretariat) under the Prime Minister Kyriakos Mitsotakis, the decision was made on the mark that will be registered internationally to recognize Macedonian products. – False
- “The Mufti of Komotini was prosecuted for abuse of power” – Inaccurate
- Emmanuel Macron is preparing a law that will oblige tax evaders to circulate bearing a characteristic sign, which will make clear to those who associate with the tax crime they have committed – False
Overall, we rate To Vima Right-Center Biased based on story selection and editorial positions that currently favor the right. We also rate them Mixed for factual reporting due to a lack of transparency regarding ownership, poor sourcing, and a few failed fact checks. (M. Huitsing 7/18/2020) Updated (05/07/2022)
Last Updated on May 7, 2022 by Media Bias Fact Check
News Facts Network Verified Factual News
- MBFC’s Daily Source Bias Check: il Giornaleby Media Bias Fact Check on May 18, 2022 at 7:15 am
- Biden urges all Americans to reject ‘poison’ of white supremacy after Buffalo mass shootingby newsfactsnetwork on May 17, 2022 at 5:49 pm
- Sweden Signs NATO Admission Request; Finnish Lawmakers Set To Formally Endorse Moveby newsfactsnetwork on May 17, 2022 at 1:15 pm
- Dems turn focus to racist ‘replacement theory’ post-Buffalo shootingby Media Bias Fact Check on May 17, 2022 at 12:36 pm
- Truth Social has no ad revenue, but banks on exclusive Donald Trump postsby newsfactsnetwork on May 17, 2022 at 12:25 pm