These media sources are moderately to strongly biased toward liberal causes through story selection and/or political affiliation. They may utilize strong loaded words (wording that attempts to influence an audience by using appeal to emotion or stereotypes), publish misleading reports, and omit information that may damage liberal causes. Some sources in this category may be untrustworthy. See all Left Bias sources.
- Overall, we rate The Nation Left Biased due to story choices and wording that favor the left and factually high based on proper sourcing.
Bias Rating: LEFT
Factual Reporting: HIGH
Press Freedom Rank: MOSTLY FREE
Media Type: Magazine
Traffic/Popularity: Medium Traffic
MBFC Credibility Rating: HIGH CREDIBILITY
Founded in 1865, The Nation is an American weekly business magazine based in New York City. The Nation covers world and national news, politics, economy, arts, culture, and more. The Nation considers itself a continuation of William Lloyd Garrison’s anti-slavery newspaper, The Liberator.
The Nation’s founding publisher was Joseph H. Richards and the Irish-born American Journalist Edwin Lawrence Godkin. They had formerly worked as a correspondent of the London Daily News and editor of the New York Evening Post. After the Nation was sold to the New York Evening Post, Godkin became editor of the Post, which he held until his retirement in 1899. Wendell Phillips Garrison, son of William Lloyd Garrison, was Literary Editor from 1865 to 1906. Newspaperman-turned-railroad-baron Henry Villard bought the Nation in 1881, and The Nation became a weekly supplement for the New York Evening Post (Later, it became the New York Post). After Henry Villard, his son, Oswald Garrison Villard, would become the new owner in 1900.
The Nation masthead states that it is edited and published by Katrina vanden Heuvel. Richard Kim is the Executive Editor, and the President is Erin O’Mara. According to their about page, the magazine describes itself as “Principled. Progressive”.
Funded by / Ownership
Katrina vanden Heuve is the editor, publisher, and part-owner of The Nation. She also writes an op-ed column for the Washington Post. Subscription and advertising are The Nation’s main revenue. Donations contribute to the Nation Builders campaign.
Analysis / Bias
The Nation endorsed Bernie Sanders for President in 2016. They have also been criticized for being a Pro-Russia publication by conservatives and liberals. Here is a quote from the right-leaning Washington Free Beacon: “The Nation’s modern-day Russia coverage has been criticized as too pro-Putin. Stephen F. Cohen, the husband of editor and publisher Katrina vanden Heuvel, has been characterized as a Putin apologist.” However, an op-ed writer for The Nation was forcibly removed from a press briefing between U.S. President Donald Trump and Russian leader Vladimir Putin on July 16, 2018, for holding up a sign regarding a nuclear weapons ban treaty, according to CNBC.
In review, The Nation reports news with emotionally loaded words and bias, such as “Judge Kavanaugh: An Originalist With a New—and Terrifying—Interpretation of Executive Power” and “It’s Time to Disrupt NATO, But not for the reasons Trump gives.”
Failed Fact Checks
- Some 90 pounds of cocaine was found on a cargo ship owned by U.S. Senate Majority Leader and anti-drug politician Mitch McConnell. – False
Overall, we rate The Nation Left Biased due to story choices and wording that favor the left and factually high based on proper sourcing. (5/15/2016) Updated (M. Huitsing 03/29/2022)
Last Updated on March 29, 2022 by Media Bias Fact Check
The Latest from MBFC Bias and Fact Checks - Media News
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 10/05/2022by Media Bias/Fact Check on October 5, 2022 at 10:30 am
- Daily Source Bias Check: Tenth Amendment Centerby Media Bias/Fact Check on October 5, 2022 at 8:00 am
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 10/04/2022by Media Bias/Fact Check on October 4, 2022 at 10:30 am
- Daily Source Bias Check: NBC New Yorkby Media Bias/Fact Check on October 4, 2022 at 8:00 am
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 10/03/2022by Media Bias/Fact Check on October 3, 2022 at 10:30 am
- Daily Source Bias Check: Emirates 24/7by Media Bias/Fact Check on October 3, 2022 at 8:01 am