Reasoning: Extreme Right, Propaganda, Conspiracy, Hate Group
World Press Freedom Rank: USA 45/180
Launched in 2013, The Unz Review is a political analysis website that defines itself as an ‘alternative’ to the ‘mainstream media.’ According to Ron Unz, who is the Editor-in-Chief and the owner of the site their mission is: “I would always prefer reading something disturbing than something dull.”
The Unz Review has a long list of columnist and bloggers, although we couldn’t go through all of the list, some known names are Pat Buchanan, Steve Sailer, Ilana Mercer, and Ron Paul. Steve Sailer has been criticized as both a racist and an Islamophobe. He is also listed as a promoter of hate by utilizing primitive stereotypes to describe people of color. Ilana Mercer is also listed as a promoter of hate toward Muslims, according to the Southern Poverty Law Center. Further, Ron Unz has donated money to known hate groups and anti-Semite organizations.
Funded by / Ownership
The website does not disclose funding information.
Analysis / Bias
In review, The Unz Review publishes articles with loaded words such as “Trump’s Strategy Working—He’s Maneuvered Democrats, RINOS, Into Favoring Foreigners Over Americans.“ On this particular article, they utilize questionable sources such as vdare.com, which is classified as an extremist White Nationalist group. They also use a different approach in which they utilize minimally loaded emotional language in their headlines such as “’Shithole Countries’: What Makes a Country? the Place or the People?” However, in the body of the article one can find plenty of racism and hate under the disguise of a philosophical discussion. Further, they also utilize factually mixed sources such as Mises Institute and occasionally credible sources such as Consortium News and Politico, however they use them only to illustrate their far right views via questionable sources.
Overall, we rate The Unz Review a Questionable Source due to extreme right wing bias, promotion of propaganda and hate, as well as utilizing poor sources. (M. Huitsing 2/12/2018) Updated (8/26/2018)
Last Updated on August 31, 2020 by Media Bias Fact Check
The Latest from MBFC Bias and Fact Checks - Media News
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 06/30/2022by Media Bias/Fact Check on June 30, 2022 at 10:30 am
- Daily Source Bias Check: NaturalPediaby Media Bias/Fact Check on June 30, 2022 at 10:30 am
- Ratings show Fox News viewers tuning out Jan. 6 hearingsby Media Bias/Fact Check on June 29, 2022 at 4:29 pm
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 06/29/2022by Media Bias/Fact Check on June 29, 2022 at 10:30 am
- Daily Source Bias Check: KATU2by Media Bias/Fact Check on June 29, 2022 at 8:00 am
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 06/28/2022by Media Bias/Fact Check on June 28, 2022 at 10:30 am