Founded in 2013, The Citizen is an online news and analysis website launched by the University of Melbourne’s Centre for Advancing Journalism. According to its “About page,” The Citizen “has several aims. Foremost, it is a teaching tool that showcases the students’ work in the Master of Journalism and Master of International Journalism programs, giving them real-world experience in working for an industry-standard, independent masthead.” The Editor-In-Chief is Andrew Dodd. The Citizen focuses on topics such as Culture, Health, Money, People, Politics, Science, Society, Podcasts, and more.
Funded by / Ownership
The Citizen states on its about page that it is funded through a mix of university and grant monies, and public donations and contributions from businessman and philanthropist Paul Bendat.
Analysis / Bias
Under the category “politics,” The Citizen publishes news stories utilizing minimal emotionally loaded headlines such as “Malaysian students in Australia fearful someone is watching them” and sources to credible media outlets such as the New York Times, News.com.au, Amnesty International, ABC News Australia as well as local Australian newspapers such as The New Daily and Channel News Asia, which we have yet to review. Under The category society, they publish opinion pieces such as “Yes, Prime Minister! How Mr. Turnbull radicalized me” and source through quotations and interviews. The Citizen reports national news with a relatively neutral tone, such as “Eyes on the town hall prize: Who will be Melbourne’s next lord mayor?” and sources to verifiable media sources such as The Age (Australia).
Failed Fact Checks
- None in the Last 5 years
Overall, we rate The Citizen Left-Center biased based on story selection that moderately favors the left and HIGH for factual reporting due to proper sourcing. (M. Huitsing 6/4/2018) Updated (12/16/2021)
Last Updated on December 16, 2021 by Media Bias Fact Check
The Latest from MBFC Bias and Fact Checks - Media News
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 10/01/2022by Media Bias/Fact Check on October 1, 2022 at 10:30 am
- Daily Source Bias Check: The Republic (Indiana)by Media Bias/Fact Check on October 1, 2022 at 8:00 am
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 09/30/2022by Media Bias/Fact Check on September 30, 2022 at 10:30 am
- Daily Source Bias Check: Healing Oracleby Media Bias/Fact Check on September 30, 2022 at 8:00 am
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 09/29/2022by Media Bias/Fact Check on September 29, 2022 at 10:30 am
- Daily Source Bias Check: The Spectator USAby Media Bias/Fact Check on September 29, 2022 at 8:00 am