These media sources have a slight to moderate liberal bias. They often publish factual information that utilizes loaded words (wording that attempts to influence an audience by using appeal to emotion or stereotypes) to favor liberal causes. These sources are generally trustworthy for information, but may require further investigation. See all Left-Center sources.
- Overall, we rate Independent Australia Left-Center biased based on editorial positions and story selection that favors the left and HIGH for factual reporting due to proper sourcing.
Factual Reporting: HIGH
World Press Freedom Rank: Australia 19/180
Founded in 2010, Independent Australia is an Australian news and opinion website based in Australia / Isle of Capri, Qld. The founder and managing editor is David Donovan. According to their “about us page”, Independent Australia is a “progressive journal focusing on politics, democracy, the environment, Australian history and Australian identity. It contains news and opinion from Australia and around the world.”
Funded by / Ownership
Independent Australia is founded by David Donovan and according to thecitizen.org “Founder David Donovan has spent $60,000 of his own money, and much more of his time. Has small advertisers, and is experimenting with crowd-funding.”
Analysis / Bias
Under the category politics, the Independent Australia publishes news stories utilizing emotionally loaded headlines such as: “It’s okay to be gay — Pope Francis says so” and sources credible media such as The Guardian, advocate.com, and factually mixed sites such as life site news. They also use sources that we have not rated such as “ncregister.com”, “Medyascope.tv” and ”news.rambler.ru”.
Independent Australia reports national news with emotionally loaded words and left bias using credible media sources through quotes and links such as “News.com.au” and The Sydney Morning Herald. Independent Australia has a negative editorial piece about PM Turnbull (Malcolm Turnbull the current Prime Minister of Australia and Leader of the Liberal Party. The Liberal Party of Australia is a major center-right political party in Australia.”)
For International News, the Independent Australia utilizes left-leaning credible sources such as the New Republic and the LA Times (Los Angeles Times) For example: “Let’s take Donald Trump’s tweeting seriously.”
Overall, we rate Independent Australia Left-Center biased based on editorial positions and story selection that favors the left and HIGH for factual reporting due to proper sourcing. (M. Huitsing 6/3/2018)
Last Updated on April 21, 2020 by Media Bias Fact Check
News Facts Network Verified Factual News
- Finnish, Swedish Lawmakers To Debate NATO Membership As Moscow Warns Nordic NATO Plans A ‘Grave Mistake’by Media Bias Fact Check on May 16, 2022 at 12:06 pm
- Conservative media is familiar with Buffalo suspect’s alleged ‘theory’by newsfactsnetwork on May 16, 2022 at 11:48 am
- More mass shootings are happening at grocery stores — 13% of shooters are motivated by race, criminologists findby Media Bias Fact Check on May 16, 2022 at 11:40 am
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 05/16/2022by Media Bias Fact Check on May 16, 2022 at 10:15 am
- MBFC’s Daily Source Bias Check: Infobaeby Media Bias Fact Check on May 16, 2022 at 7:09 am