These media sources have a slight to moderate liberal bias. They often publish factual information that utilizes loaded words (wording that attempts to influence an audience by appeals to emotion or stereotypes) to favor liberal causes. These sources are generally trustworthy for information but may require further investigation. See all Left-Center sources.
- Overall, we rate Amnesty International Left-Center Biased based on political advocacy that favors liberal policy. We also rate them High for factual reporting due to proper sourcing and a reasonable fact check record.
Bias Rating: LEFT-CENTER
Factual Reporting: HIGH
Country: United Kingdom
Press Freedom Rating: MOSTLY FREE
Media Type: Organization/Foundation
Traffic/Popularity: Medium Traffic
MBFC Credibility Rating: HIGH CREDIBILITY
Founded in 1961, Amnesty International (AI) is a non-governmental organization focused on human rights with over 7 million members and supporters worldwide. The organization’s stated objective is “to conduct research and generate action to prevent and end grave abuses of human rights, and to demand justice for those whose rights have been violated.” The current Secretary-General is Kumi Naidoo.
Funded by / Ownership
Amnesty International has two principal arms in the UK, Amnesty International UK, and Amnesty International Charity Ltd. Both are UK-based organizations, but only the latter is a charity. Revenue is generated through donations.
Analysis / Bias
The core principle of Amnesty International is a focus on prisoners of conscience, those persons imprisoned or prevented from expressing any opinion other than violence. Along with this commitment to opposing repression of freedom of expression, Amnesty International’s founding principles included non-intervention on political questions, a robust commitment to gathering facts about the various cases and promoting human rights. Governments and their supporters have criticized Amnesty’s criticism of their policies, including those of Australia, the Czech Republic, China, the Democratic Republic of the Congo, India, Iran, Israel, Qatar, Saudi Arabia, Vietnam, Russia, and the United States, for what they assert is one-sided reporting or a failure to treat threats to security as a mitigating factor. The actions of these governments — and other governments critical of Amnesty International — have been the subject of human rights concerns voiced by Amnesty.
The website features a news section that reports on human rights abuses worldwide, such as this US military shows appalling disregard for civilians killed in Somalia air strike and this Egypt: Largest wave of mass arrests since President Abdel Fattah al-Sisi came to power. These news stories are credible and adequately sourced. Editorially, Amnesty International leans left with promoting LGBTQ Rights, support for climate change activism, and opposition to far-right regimes.
Failed Fact Checks
- No, Amnesty International does not say 60 percent of migrant women in Mexico have been raped – FALSE
Overall, we rate Amnesty International Left-Center Biased based on political advocacy that favors liberal policy. We also rate them High for factual reporting due to proper sourcing and a reasonable fact check record. (D. Van Zandt 7/17/2017) Updated (02/15/2022)
Last Updated on February 15, 2022 by Media Bias Fact Check
The Latest from MBFC Bias and Fact Checks - Media News
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 09/29/2022by Media Bias/Fact Check on September 29, 2022 at 10:30 am
- Daily Source Bias Check: The Spectator USAby Media Bias/Fact Check on September 29, 2022 at 8:00 am
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 09/28/2022by Media Bias/Fact Check on September 28, 2022 at 10:30 am
- Daily Source Bias Check: Bounding Into Comicsby Media Bias/Fact Check on September 28, 2022 at 8:00 am
- Facebook takes down Russian network impersonating European news outletsby Media Bias/Fact Check on September 27, 2022 at 1:45 pm
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 09/27/2022by Media Bias/Fact Check on September 27, 2022 at 10:30 am