These media sources are moderately to strongly biased toward conservative causes through story selection and/or political affiliation. They may utilize strong loaded words (wording that attempts to influence an audience by using appeal to emotion or stereotypes), publish misleading reports, and omit information that may damage conservative causes. Some sources in this category may be untrustworthy. See all Right Bias sources.
- Overall, we rate Sky News Australia Right-Biased based on story selection and editorial positions that mostly favor the right. We also rate them Mixed for factual reporting due to failed fact checks, unproven claims, and the promotion of conspiracy theories and misinformation.
Bias Rating: RIGHT-CENTER
Factual Reporting: MIXED
Country: Australia (26/180 Press Freedom)
Media Type: TV Station
Traffic/Popularity: High Traffic
MBFC Credibility Rating: MEDIUM CREDIBILITY
Founded in 1996, Sky News Australia is a cable & satellite news provider based in Australia. Sky News provides live news and analysis, commentary, sports news, weather news, and national affairs coverage. Currently, former Editor of The Australian Paul Whittaker is the CEO of Sky News in Australia.
Funded by / Ownership
Sky News Australia is currently operated by Australian News Channel Pty Ltd (ANC), a subsidiary of News Corp Australia, a part of News Corp and owned by Rupert Murdoch. Australian News Channel Pty Ltd (ANC) also owns the major Sky News Extra, Sky News Weather Channel, and New Zealand News Channel. For more on News Corp-owned media in Australia, please see here. Revenue is derived through advertising and subscription fees.
Analysis / Bias
In 2020, Reporters Without Borders ranked Australia 26/180 in their Press Freedom Index, stating “Investigative journalism in danger.” Center-Right Conservative Scott Morrison is the Prime Minister of Australia. The Liberal-National Coalition, known as The Coalition, is an alliance of center-right political parties, with Morrison serving as the leader.
In review, Sky News Australia publishes news with story selection that favors the center-right Morrison Government such as this: “Morrison ‘unbelievably good’ at handling coronavirus crisis.” They also cover critical opposition voices such as here: “Morrison government is ‘only good at manufacturing slogans.’ Further, they promote conspiracy theories regarding coronavirus and climate change and do not report favorably on immigration. When covering world news about the USA, they cover the Trump administration favorably “President Trump has ‘huge win’ following powerful endorsement.” In general, story selection and editorial positions mostly favor the right and are not always factual.
Failed Fact Checks
- “A growing number of scientists” believe that “solar activity is the real culprit behind so-called climate change” and not “man-made carbon emissions.” – Inaccurate
- The Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change is misleading humanity about climate change and sea levels, and that, in fact, a new solar-driven cooling period is not far off – Incorrect
- Sky News host Cory Bernardi says it appears voter fraud has been “quite extensive” in the US election – False
- “Earth’s climate is ‘cyclical’ as new study claims an ice age is coming” – Very Low Scientific Credibility
- Sky News host Rowan Dean claims that a graph shows temperatures haven’t risen in more than two decades – False
- “Ivermectin is the only thing we have that treats COVID at all stages […] Ivermectin substantially reduces deaths from COVID and prevents infections”; 50 studies “show ivermectin is not just effective, but highly effective” – Unsupported
Overall, we rate Sky News Australia Right-Biased based on story selection and editorial positions that mostly favor the right. We also rate them Mixed for factual reporting due to failed fact checks, unproven claims, and the promotion of conspiracy theories and misinformation. (M. Huitsing 10/17/2020) Updated (04/26/2021)