These media sources have a slight to moderate liberal bias. They often publish factual information that utilizes loaded words (wording that attempts to influence an audience by using appeal to emotion or stereotypes) to favor liberal causes. These sources are generally trustworthy for information, but may require further investigation. See all Left-Center sources.
- Overall, we rate the San Francisco Examiner Left-Center biased due to left-leaning editorial positions and High for factual reporting based on proper sourcing of information.
Factual Reporting: HIGH
World Press Freedom Rank: USA 45/180
The San Francisco Examiner is a longtime daily newspaper distributed in and around San Francisco, California. The paper has been published continuously since 1863. The newspaper has switched ownership several times with the most recent in 2011. Clarity Media Group bought the paper in 2004 and quickly changed the paper to reflect a strong right wing editorial bias. Clarity Media Group also owns the conservative Washington Examiner. The current publisher is Jay Curren and the editor is Gregory D. Anderson. The San Francisco Examiner is free and printed 3 times per week.
Funded by / Ownership
In 2011, the San Francisco Examiner was purchased by San Francisco Newspaper Company LLC. After being purchased the paper’s editorial positions moved to the left. The San Francisco Examiner is funded through advertising.
Analysis / Bias
The San Francisco Examiner uses minimal loaded words in their headlines such as: Challengers emerge to battle for newly open Sunset District supervisorial seat. Local news covering the Bay Area is done through journalists, while national news is from the Tribune News Service, which we have rated least biased. All information is properly sourced to credible media outlets. Editorially, there is a clear left wing bias as the paper frequently endorses progressive candidates. A factual search reveals they have not failed any fact checks.
Overall, we rate the San Francisco Examiner Left-Center biased due to left-leaning editorial positions and High for factual reporting based on proper sourcing of information. (D. Van Zandt 6/19/2018)
Last Updated on August 8, 2020 by Media Bias Fact Check
News Facts Network Verified Factual News
- Biden urges all Americans to reject ‘poison’ of white supremacy after Buffalo mass shootingby newsfactsnetwork on May 17, 2022 at 5:49 pm
- Sweden Signs NATO Admission Request; Finnish Lawmakers Set To Formally Endorse Moveby newsfactsnetwork on May 17, 2022 at 1:15 pm
- Dems turn focus to racist ‘replacement theory’ post-Buffalo shootingby Media Bias Fact Check on May 17, 2022 at 12:36 pm
- Truth Social has no ad revenue, but banks on exclusive Donald Trump postsby newsfactsnetwork on May 17, 2022 at 12:25 pm
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 05/17/2022by Media Bias Fact Check on May 17, 2022 at 10:15 am