These media sources are moderately to strongly biased toward liberal causes through story selection and/or political affiliation. They may utilize strong loaded words (wording that attempts to influence an audience by using appeal to emotion or stereotypes), publish misleading reports, and omit information reporting that may damage liberal causes. Some sources in this category may be untrustworthy. See all Left Bias sources.
- Overall, we rate San Francisco Bay View Left Biased based on editorial positions that routinely favor the left. We also rate them Mostly Factual in reporting rather than High due to poor sourcing techniques and one unproven claim.
Bias Rating: LEFT
Factual Reporting: MOSTLY FACTUAL
Press Freedom Rating: MOSTLY FREE
Media Type: Website
Traffic/Popularity: Medium Traffic
MBFC Credibility Rating: MEDIUM CREDIBILITY
Founded in 1976, the San Francisco Bay View is a monthly national black newspaper published online. The paper covers news and events from an African-American perspective. According to their about page, “The Bay View, the voice of Black Liberation, aims to equip and inspire Black people and all people to rise and fight for freedom and justice, to build unity within the community and solidarity with other communities.” The current editor is Mary Ratliffe, with her husband Willie Ratliffe serving as publisher.
Funded by / Ownership
Willie and Mary Ratliffe own the San Francisco Bay View. Revenue is derived through advertising, donations, and subscriptions.
Analysis / Bias
In review, the San Francisco Bay View covers news and culture for African American communities in the San Francisco area and around the nation. The paper and website provide original reporting with articles and headlines containing emotionally loaded language such as this Racist practices at the SF Health Service System will no longer be tolerated: Remove Mitchell Griggs now! Story selection often focuses on black rights and injustice, such as this The messy truth: Extortion, bargaining, and how we must oppose the new SFPOA contract. They also cover national and world news. When it comes to sourcing, they typically do not hyperlink to external sources.
Editorially, a strong left-leaning bias favors Black Liberation and pro-labor positions such as this Until we win: Black labor and liberation in the disposable era. In general, the news is reported factually from a progressive liberal perspective.
Failed Fact Checks
- While mayor of San Francisco mayor in 1984, Dianne Feinstein repeatedly ordered the reinstallation of a Confederate battle flag outside City Hall. – Unproven
Overall, we rate San Francisco Bay View Left Biased based on editorial positions that routinely favor the left. We also rate them Mostly Factual in reporting rather than High due to poor sourcing techniques and one unproven claim. (D. Van Zandt 12/26/2020) Updated (03/28/2022)
Last Updated on March 28, 2022 by Media Bias Fact Check
News Facts Network Verified Factual News
- Australia set to get new PM after Scott Morrison’s ruling conservatives projected to lose electionby Media Bias Fact Check on May 21, 2022 at 12:53 pm
- Biden says US has offered vaccines to North Korea but got no responseby newsfactsnetwork on May 21, 2022 at 12:43 pm
- MBFC’s Daily Source Bias Check: International Press Instituteby Media Bias Fact Check on May 21, 2022 at 10:15 am
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 05/21/2022by Media Bias Fact Check on May 21, 2022 at 10:15 am
- U.S. stops controlled burns nationwide after New Mexico disasterby Media Bias Fact Check on May 21, 2022 at 3:43 am