These media sources are slightly to moderately conservative in bias. They often publish factual information that utilizes loaded words (wording that attempts to influence an audience by using appeal to emotion or stereotypes) to favor conservative causes. These sources are generally trustworthy for information but may require further investigation. See all Right-Center sources.
- Overall, we rate Hoover Institution Right-Center biased based on economic positions that align with the conservative right, coupled with left-leaning libertarian social stances. We also rate them High for factual reporting due to a clean fact check record.
Bias Rating: RIGHT-CENTER
Factual Reporting: HIGH
Country: USA (45/180 Press Freedom)
Media Type: Organization/Foundation
MBFC Credibility Rating: HIGH CREDIBILITY
Founded in 1919, The Hoover Institution is an American public policy think tank and research institution located at Stanford University in California. It began as a library founded in 1919 by Republican and Stanford alumni Herbert Hoover before becoming president of the United States. Hoover is No. 18 (of 90) in the “Top Think Tanks in the United States” The current director is Thomas W. Gilligan.
Funded by / Ownership
The Hoover Institution receives nearly half of its funding from private gifts, primarily from individual contributions, and the other half from its endowment. The organization’s funders include the Taube Family Foundation, the Koret Foundation, the Howard Charitable Foundation, the Sarah Scaife Foundation, the Walton Foundation, the Lynde and Harry Bradley Foundation, and the William E. Simon Foundation. According to the Center for Responsive Politics (open secrets), the Hoover Institution gave 94% of donations to Republican candidates during the 2016 election cycle.
Analysis / Bias
In review, The Hoover Institution publishes research that almost always favors the right such as this: A Progressive Plan That Aids Loan Sharks. Although this is classified as research, a review demonstrates an opinion piece that is not strongly sourced—most articles on this website link to other sources rather than original writing from Hoover. Hoover links articles to various left-leaning sources such as the New York Times, San Jose Mercury News, and The Atlantic. They also link to right-leaning sources such as Fox News, Wall St. Journal, and National Review. In general, Hoover Institution supports a free market economy and holds Libertarian positions when it comes to gay marriage and abortion. Although the Hoover Institution sometimes presents a skeptical view of climate change, they also link to articles such as this: Doing Nothing About Climate Change The Most Expensive Option.
Failed Fact Checks
- None in the Last 5 years
Overall, we rate Hoover Institution right-center biased based on economic positions that align with the conservative right, coupled with left-leaning libertarian social stances. We also rate them High for factual reporting due to a clean fact check record. (7/14/2016) Updated (D. Van Zandt 5/29/2019)
Last Updated on April 9, 2021 by Media Bias Fact Check
The Latest from MBFC Bias and Fact Checks - Media News
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 10/03/2022by Media Bias/Fact Check on October 3, 2022 at 10:30 am
- Daily Source Bias Check: Emirates 24/7by Media Bias/Fact Check on October 3, 2022 at 8:01 am
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 10/02/2022by Media Bias/Fact Check on October 2, 2022 at 10:30 am
- Daily Source Bias Check: Out Magazineby Media Bias/Fact Check on October 2, 2022 at 8:00 am
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 10/01/2022by Media Bias/Fact Check on October 1, 2022 at 10:30 am
- Daily Source Bias Check: The Republic (Indiana)by Media Bias/Fact Check on October 1, 2022 at 8:00 am