These media sources have a slight to moderate liberal bias. They often publish factual information that utilizes loaded words (wording that attempts to influence an audience by appeals to emotion or stereotypes) to favor liberal causes. These sources are generally trustworthy for information but may require further investigation. See all Left-Center sources.
- Overall, we rate Brooking Institution Left-Center biased based on donations to primarily Democratic candidates and policy advocacy that slightly favors the left. We also rate them Very High for factual reporting due to strong sourcing and a clean fact check record.
Bias Rating: LEFT-CENTER
Factual Reporting: VERY-HIGH
Press Freedom Rank: MOSTLY FREE
Media Type: Organization/Foundation
Traffic/Popularity: Medium Traffic
MBFC Credibility Rating: HIGH CREDIBILITY
Founded in 1916, The Brookings Institution is an American research group. It conducts research and education in the social sciences, primarily in economics, metropolitan policy, governance, foreign policy, and global economy and development. The mission of the Brookings Institution is to “provide innovative and practical recommendations that advance three broad goals: strengthen American democracy; foster the economic and social welfare, security and opportunity of all Americans; and secure a more open, safe, prosperous, and cooperative international system.”
Funded by / Ownership
Brookings Institution is a 501(c)(3) non-profit organization funded through donations. Each year they provide a transparent annual report regarding finances and funding. According to Open Secrets, Brookings has donated 96% or $824,259 to Democratic candidates and causes since 1990.
Analysis / Bias
In review, The research agenda and recommendations of Brookings’ 300+ scholars represent diverse points of view. “Research topics cover foreign policy, economics, development, governance, and metropolitan policy.”
An academic analysis of Congressional records from 1993 to 2002 found that Brookings was referred to by conservative politicians almost as frequently as liberal politicians, earning 53 on a 1–100 scale, with 100 representing the most liberal score. Further, Brookings has been accused of having a liberal bias and a conservative bias; however, the consensus is they are centrist.
Brookings utilizes moderately loaded language in their headlines and articles, such as this: Don’t ignore the national debt. It will only get worse if we don’t act now. This article and all others are properly sourced and labeled appropriately as an Op-Ed. Brookings also publishes their research on the website: Empowering women entrepreneurs in developing countries. Their research provides deep sourcing from credible information and outlets. In general, the Brookings website’s scope of stories and information tends to lean left politically slightly.
Failed Fact Checks
- None in the Last 5 years
Overall, we rate Brooking Institution Left-Center biased based on donations to primarily Democratic candidates and policy advocacy that slightly favors the left. We also rate them Very High for factual reporting due to strong sourcing and a clean fact check record. (D. Van Zandt 5/15/2016) Updated (05/06/2022)
Last Updated on May 6, 2022 by Media Bias Fact Check
The Latest from MBFC Bias and Fact Checks - Media News
- Facebook takes down Russian network impersonating European news outletsby Media Bias/Fact Check on September 27, 2022 at 1:45 pm
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 09/27/2022by Media Bias/Fact Check on September 27, 2022 at 10:30 am
- Daily Source Bias Check: Electronic Frontier Foundationby Media Bias/Fact Check on September 27, 2022 at 8:00 am
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 09/26/2022by Media Bias/Fact Check on September 26, 2022 at 10:30 am
- Daily Source Bias Check: End the Fedby Media Bias/Fact Check on September 26, 2022 at 8:00 am
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 09/25/2022by Media Bias/Fact Check on September 25, 2022 at 10:30 am