Media Bias Fact Check selects and publishes fact checks from around the world. We only utilize fact-checkers that are either a signatory of the International Fact-Checking Network (IFCN) or have been verified as credible by MBFC. Further, we review each fact check for accuracy before publishing. We fact-check the fact-checkers and let you know their bias. When appropriate, we explain the rating and/or offer our own rating if we disagree with the fact-checker. (D. Van Zandt)
Claim Codes: Red = Fact Check on a Right Claim, Blue = Fact Check on a Left Claim, Black = Not Political/Conspiracy/Pseudoscience/Other
Fact Checker bias rating Codes: Red = Right-Leaning, Green = Least Biased, Blue = Left-Leaning, Black = Unrated by MBFC
You are viewing this page with fewer Ads
See all MBFC content Completely Ad-Free
|TRUE||Claim via Social Media: A newly sworn-in U.S. House Republican majority in 2023 will vote on a bill that would abolish the IRS.
Snopes rating: True (The opportunity to vote on such a bill was part of a deal made between U.S. Rep. Kevin McCarthy, R-Calif., and 20 Republicans who had initially refused to give him their vote for speaker of the House in January 2022. But even if said bill were passed in the House, it would not be expected to pass the Senate, which is dominated by Democrats, or be signed by U.S. President Joe Biden, also a Democrat.)
|FALSE||Claim by Sean Hannity: “The White House is now attempting to ban all gas ovens and burners.”
Politifact rating: False (The Consumer Product Safety Commission, a federal agency that regulates consumer goods, is seeking ideas for resolving the risks associated with gas stoves. The agency is authorized to ban a product if there is no other reasonable way to protect people from its dangers. But bans and regulations apply only to new products, not items already in people’s homes.)
|Claim via Social Media: COVID-19 vaccines are causing excess deaths around the world; sudden adult death syndrome is new.
Health Feedback rating: Unsupported (There’s no evidence supporting the claim that people vaccinated against COVID-19 are generally more likely to die compared to unvaccinated people. In fact, the evidence indicates otherwise. Sudden adult death syndrome (SADS) isn’t new. Reports of SADS date back to the 90s. The term is simply perceived as new by many people, likely because of a change in public awareness of the term.)
|TRUE||Claim via Social Media and scientific studies: Studies have linked gas stoves to asthma in kids.
VERIFYThis.com rating: True (There have been studies linking gas stove use to childhood asthma.)
|Claim by Donald Trump (R): China “saw the Classified Documents” found by President Joe Biden’s lawyers in his old office.
FactCheck.org rating: No Evidence (There is no evidence that China directly funded the center that bears Biden’s name or that China reviewed the classified documents now under federal review.)
|FALSE||(International: United Kingdom): Claim by Conservative Party member Andrew Bridgen: The mRNA Covid-19 vaccines are gene therapy.
Full Fact rating: False (Gene therapy involves making deliberate changes to a patient’s DNA to treat a genetic condition. While mRNA vaccines involve genetic material they don’t change the recipient’s DNA or enter the cell’s nucleus where the genome is.)
Disclaimer: We are providing links to fact-checks by third-party fact-checkers. If you do not agree with a fact check, please directly contact the source of that fact check.
The Latest Factual News
- House Expels Rep. George Santos Amid Controversyby newsfactsnetwork on December 1, 2023 at 11:25 am
- Human Cell-Based ‘Anthrobots’ Show Promise in Tissue Repairby newsfactsnetwork on December 1, 2023 at 10:06 am
- Japan Inaugurates World’s Largest Experimental Nuclear Fusion Reactorby newsfactsnetwork on December 1, 2023 at 9:22 am
- Israel Knew of Hamas’ Attack Plan a Year in Advanceby newsfactsnetwork on December 1, 2023 at 7:44 am
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 12/01/2023by Media Bias Fact Check on December 1, 2023 at 6:00 am
- Daily Source Bias Check: DailyHealthPostby Media Bias Fact Check on December 1, 2023 at 4:00 am
- House Passes Resolution to Block Iran’s Access to $6 Billion From Prisoner Swap by newsfactsnetwork on December 1, 2023 at 1:17 am
- U.S. to Collaborate with South Korea and Japan in Countering Disinformationby newsfactsnetwork on December 1, 2023 at 1:17 am