These sources have minimal bias and use very few loaded words (wording that attempts to influence an audience by appeals to emotion or stereotypes). The reporting is factual and usually sourced. These are the most credible media sources. See all Least Biased Sources.
- Overall, we rate VERIFY Fact Check Least Biased based on neutral wording and minimal editorial content. We also rate them High for factual reporting due to proper sourcing and a reliable record as a fact-checker.
Bias Rating: LEAST BIASED
Factual Reporting: HIGH
Press Freedom Rating: MOSTLY FREE
Media Type: Website
Traffic/Popularity: Medium Traffic
MBFC Credibility Rating: HIGH CREDIBILITY
Founded in 2021, VERIFY Fact Check is a fact-checking website from the local newsrooms of Tegna TV stations. They currently work with 49 TEGNA newsrooms across the USA.
According to their about page, “VERIFY is dedicated to helping the public distinguish between true and false information. With help from questions submitted by the audience, the VERIFY team tracks the spread of stories or claims that need clarification or correction. We provide trustworthy, transparent information to prove or disprove them. VERIFY’s sources are always provided, allowing the audience to see exactly how the team determines the veracity of any claims.”
On June 29, 2015, the Gannett Company split in two, specializing in print media and the other specializing in broadcast and digital media. The broadcasting company took the name TEGNA.
Funded by / Ownership
VERIFY Fact Check is owned and operated by TEGNA Inc., which operates 66 television stations in 54 markets. They state TEGNA’s purpose is to serve the greater good of our communities. Advertising on TEGNA’s station websites generates revenue.
Analysis / Bias
VERIFY Fact Check provides fact checks to TEGNA’s TV news websites. Verifythis.com is a standalone website featuring all the fact checks from 49 different newsrooms. TEGNA’s TV station websites each have a VERIFY category that publishes their fact-checks. Headlines are low biased and clearly state the nature of the fact check such as this No, the video of Russian President Vladimir Putin announcing peace isn’t real. All fact checks rely on evidence through credible sourcing. What makes this website unique is many of their fact-checks are in video format, such as this Fact-checking if the video of Ukrainian President Zelenskyy urging surrender is real.
A review of fact-check selection bias indicates they are willing to fact-check both sides. For example, they fact-check President Biden, Fact-checking President Biden’s first State of the Union address, and former President Trump Yes; former President Trump made a deal with the Taliban to pull US troops out of Afghanistan by May 2021. VERIFY is a credible fact-checker that demonstrates minimal bias in what or who they fact check.
Failed Fact Checks
- None in the Last 5 years
Overall, we rate VERIFY Fact Check Least Biased based on neutral wording and minimal editorial content. We also rate them High for factual reporting due to proper sourcing and a reliable record as a fact-checker. (D. Van Zandt 03/21/2022)
Last Updated on March 21, 2022 by Media Bias Fact Check
News Facts Network Verified Factual News
- Facebook promised to remove “sensitive” ads. Here’s what it left behind.by Media Bias Fact Check on May 18, 2022 at 2:39 pm
- Schumer implores Fox News leaders to stop ‘amplification’ of ‘replacement theory’by Media Bias Fact Check on May 18, 2022 at 11:54 am
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 05/18/2022by Media Bias Fact Check on May 18, 2022 at 10:15 am
- Madison Cawthorn concedes to Chuck Edwards in North Carolinaby Media Bias Fact Check on May 18, 2022 at 7:43 am
- Far-right election denier Mastriano wins GOP race for governor in Pennsylvaniaby Media Bias Fact Check on May 18, 2022 at 7:43 am