A questionable source exhibits one or more of the following: extreme bias, consistent promotion of propaganda/conspiracies, poor or no sourcing to credible information, a complete lack of transparency and/or is fake news. Fake News is the deliberate attempt to publish hoaxes and/or disinformation for the purpose of profit or influence (Learn More). Sources listed in the Questionable Category may be very untrustworthy and should be fact checked on a per article basis. Please note sources on this list are not considered fake news unless specifically written in the reasoning section for that source. See all Questionable sources.
- Overall, we rate What’s the Harm a Questionable source based on a lack of transparency, poor sourcing, and minimal evidence to support claims.
Factual Reporting: MIXED
Founded in 2008, What’s The Harm is a website that looks at pseudoscience and the damage it causes to both health and economy. While this site produces credible information they are lacking transparency in ownership, authors, and location.
Funded by / Ownership
What’s the Harm does not openly disclose ownership and revenue appears to be derived from advertising.
Analysis / Bias
In review, What’s the Harm is a website that focuses on the harm pseudoscience has done. On their page, they state that “368,379 people killed, 306,096 injured and over $2,815,931,000 in economic damages.” However, they do not state how these numbers are derived. Further, the website relies on anecdotal evidence rather than concrete peer-reviewed objective evidence. While many of the topics they list are indeed classified as pseudoscience they simply do not provide proper evidence to support their claims. Based on this we rate them a Questionable source.
Overall, we rate What’s the Harm a Questionable source based on a lack of transparency, poor sourcing, and minimal evidence to support claims. (D. Van Zandt 8/21/2016) Updated (8/6/2020)
Last Updated on August 6, 2020 by Media Bias Fact Check
The Latest from MBFC Bias and Fact Checks - Media News
- Ratings show Fox News viewers tuning out Jan. 6 hearingsby Media Bias/Fact Check on June 29, 2022 at 4:29 pm
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 06/29/2022by Media Bias/Fact Check on June 29, 2022 at 10:30 am
- Daily Source Bias Check: KATU2by Media Bias/Fact Check on June 29, 2022 at 8:00 am
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 06/28/2022by Media Bias/Fact Check on June 28, 2022 at 10:30 am
- Daily Source Bias Check: Chronicles Magazineby Media Bias/Fact Check on June 28, 2022 at 8:00 am
- Clarence Thomas signals interest in making it easier to sue mediaby Media Bias/Fact Check on June 27, 2022 at 4:23 pm