These sources consist of legitimate science or are evidence based through the use of credible scientific sourcing. Legitimate science follows the scientific method, is unbiased and does not use emotional words. These sources also respect the consensus of experts in the given scientific field and strive to publish peer reviewed science. Some sources in this category may have a slight political bias, but adhere to scientific principles. See all Pro-Science sources.
- Overall, we rate Real Clear Science a pro-science source based on sourcing to other pro-science sources.
Factual Reporting: HIGH
World Press Freedom Rank: USA 45/180
Founded in 2000, RealClearPolitics (RCP) is a Chicago based political news and polling data, aggregator. Operating under the RealClear brand, there are 14 RealClear websites that cover various platforms including RealClearInvestigations, RealClearDefense, RealClearReligion, and more. The Founders of RealClearPolitics are John McIntyre, an options trader, and Tom Bevan, an advertising account executive.
In 2007, Forbes Media took a 51% equity stake in RealClear Holdings. In 2015, Crest Media, which owns the Middle East news outlet Al-Monitor, and the original owners bought out a large equity stake that had been possessed by Forbes Media. Crest Media was founded by the president and chairman of Houston-based Crest Investment Company Jamal Daniel. Daniel is also the founder of Al-Monitor.
Funded by / Ownership
RealClear Investors and Crest Media is the owner of RealClearScience. John McIntyre is the Co-founder & CEO, Tom Bevan is the Co-founder & Publisher and Erin Waters is the President of the RealClear Media Group. According to Political Wire, RealClear operated a far right website by the name Conservative Country, while this website is no longer in existence the associated Facebook Page has 800,000+ followers. The Facebook Page publishes pro-Trump, anti-immigrant, Islamophobic, far right memes and information, many of which link back to RealClear properties. RealClear is funded through paid subscriptions and an online advertising model.
Analysis / Bias
In review, the website features selected science news stories and op-eds from various news publications in addition to commentary from its own contributors. Though their own political views lean conservative, the site’s founders say their goal is to give readers “ideological diversity” in its commentary section. In reviewing their political news and opinions there are slightly more that is published from right-leaning sources, however, both sides are represented.
Failed Fact Checks
- None in the Last 5 years
Overall, we rate Real Clear Science a pro-science source based on sourcing to other pro-science sources. (D. Van Zandt 7/16/2016) Updated (D. Van Zandt 07/16/20)
Last Updated on August 30, 2020 by Media Bias Fact Check
The Latest from MBFC Bias and Fact Checks - Media News
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 10/03/2022by Media Bias/Fact Check on October 3, 2022 at 10:30 am
- Daily Source Bias Check: Emirates 24/7by Media Bias/Fact Check on October 3, 2022 at 8:01 am
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 10/02/2022by Media Bias/Fact Check on October 2, 2022 at 10:30 am
- Daily Source Bias Check: Out Magazineby Media Bias/Fact Check on October 2, 2022 at 8:00 am
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 10/01/2022by Media Bias/Fact Check on October 1, 2022 at 10:30 am
- Daily Source Bias Check: The Republic (Indiana)by Media Bias/Fact Check on October 1, 2022 at 8:00 am