These media sources are slightly to moderately conservative in bias. They often publish factual information that utilizes loaded words (wording that attempts to influence an audience by appealing to emotion or stereotypes) to favor conservative causes. These sources are generally trustworthy for information but may require further investigation. See all Right-Center sources.
- Overall, we rate RealClearInvestigations Right-Center Biased based on story selection that moderately favors the Right. We also rate them Mostly Factual rather than High due to utilizing sources that have Mixed records with facts.
Bias Rating: RIGHT-CENTER
Factual Reporting: MOSTLY FACTUAL
Country: USA (44/180 Press Freedom)
Media Type: Website
Traffic/Popularity: Medium Traffic
MBFC Credibility Rating: HIGH CREDIBILITY
Founded in 2000 and based in Chicago, Illinois, RealClearPolitics, LLC is a news aggregation political analysis and polling site. Operating under the RealClear brand, there are 14 RealClear websites that cover various platforms including RealClearPolitics, RealClearDefense, RealClearScience, RealClearReligion and more. The Founders of RealClearPolitics are John McIntyre, an options trader, and Tom Bevan, an advertising account executive.
In 2007, Forbes Media took a 51% equity stake in RealClear Holdings. In 2015, Crest Media, which owns the Middle East news outlet Al-Monitor, and the original owners bought out a large equity stake that Forbes Media had possessed. Crest Media was founded by the president and chairman of Houston-based Crest Investment Company Jamal Daniel. Daniel is also the founder of Al-Monitor.
Launched in 2016, RealClearInvestigations is the investigative division of RealClearPolitics. Tom Kuntz edits RealClearInvestigations.
Funded by / Ownership
RealClear Investors and Crest Media is the owner of RealClearPolitics. John McIntyre is the Co-founder & CEO, Tom Bevan is the Co-founder & Publisher, and Erin Waters is the President of the RealClear Media Group. RealClear is funded through paid subscriptions and an online advertising model.
Analysis / Bias
RealClearInvestigations reports and links to news from other outlets and also produces its own original stories.
In review, RealClearInvestigations frequently uses emotionally loaded headlines such as this: “2016 Trump Tower Meeting Looks Increasingly Like a Setup by Russian and Clinton Operatives” and “Mueller Still Relying on Discredited Steele Dossier.”
Generally, story selection moderately favors the Right and RealClearInvestigations takes a Pro-Trump stance. RealClearInvestigations typically sources their information to credible sources such as The Hill, Wall Street Journal, NBC News, and the Washington Examiner; however, they also source factually mixed sources such as Fox News. For example, this snippet from the article: “Investigation worked with employees of Fusion GPS, a Washington-based research firm reportedly paid $1 million (Fox News link) by Clinton operatives to dig up dirt on the Trump campaign.” RealClearInvestigations sourced Fox News, who in turn sourced the same information from another factually mixed source, the Daily Caller, owned by conservative political commentator Tucker Carlson.
Failed Fact Checks
- None in the Last 5 years
Overall, we rate RealClearInvestigations Right-Center Biased based on story selection that moderately favors the Right. We also rate them Mostly Factual rather than High due to utilizing sources that have Mixed records with facts. (1/25/2017) Updated (M. Huitsing 2/21/2020)
Last Updated on May 19, 2021 by Media Bias Fact Check
The Latest from MBFC Bias and Fact Checks - Media News
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 10/01/2022by Media Bias/Fact Check on October 1, 2022 at 10:30 am
- Daily Source Bias Check: The Republic (Indiana)by Media Bias/Fact Check on October 1, 2022 at 8:00 am
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 09/30/2022by Media Bias/Fact Check on September 30, 2022 at 10:30 am
- Daily Source Bias Check: Healing Oracleby Media Bias/Fact Check on September 30, 2022 at 8:00 am
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 09/29/2022by Media Bias/Fact Check on September 29, 2022 at 10:30 am
- Daily Source Bias Check: The Spectator USAby Media Bias/Fact Check on September 29, 2022 at 8:00 am