Bias Rating: LEAST BIASED
Factual Reporting: HIGH
Press Freedom Rating: MOSTLY FREE
Media Type: Website
Traffic/Popularity: High Traffic
MBFC Credibility Rating: HIGH CREDIBILITY
Founded in 1998, Ars Technica is a technology news and information website. It publishes news, reviews, and guides on computer hardware and software, science, technology policy, and video games. The current editor is Ken Fisher.
Funded by / Ownership
Ars Technica is owned by Conde Naste, an American mass media company founded in 1909 by Condé Montrose Nast, based in New York City, and owned by Advance Publications. They own 18 brands, including Allure, Architectural Digest, Backchannel, Bon Appétit, Condé Nast Traveler, Epicurious, Glamour, Golf Digest, GQ, Pitchfork, Self, Teen Vogue, The New Yorker, Vanity Fair, Vogue, and Wired. Revenue is derived from advertising and subscription sales.
Analysis / Bias
In review, Ars Technica primarily covers technology news and politics related to the industry. There is the moderate use of sensational headlines such as this My browser, the spy: How extensions slurped up browsing histories from 4M users when covering tech news. This story is accurately and appropriately sourced. Under their “Policy” tab, they report on political news related to technology. Here, you will also find moderately sensational headlines that are well-sourced and factual: Turkey crosses “red line,” getting booted from F-35 partnership. When covering USA politics, Ars Technica again sticks to accurate reporting such as this: Trump proposes a government-run TV news network to counter CNN.
Failed Fact Checks
- None in the Last 5 years
Overall, we rate Ars Technica Least Biased based on mostly neutral reporting that sticks to their genre of technology. We also rate them High for factual reporting due to proper sourcing of information and a clean fact check record. (D. Van Zandt 8/26/2016) Updated (03/04/2022)
Last Updated on March 4, 2022 by Media Bias Fact Check
The Latest from MBFC Bias and Fact Checks - Media News
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 06/30/2022by Media Bias/Fact Check on June 30, 2022 at 10:30 am
- Daily Source Bias Check: NaturalPediaby Media Bias/Fact Check on June 30, 2022 at 10:30 am
- Ratings show Fox News viewers tuning out Jan. 6 hearingsby Media Bias/Fact Check on June 29, 2022 at 4:29 pm
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 06/29/2022by Media Bias/Fact Check on June 29, 2022 at 10:30 am
- Daily Source Bias Check: KATU2by Media Bias/Fact Check on June 29, 2022 at 8:00 am
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 06/28/2022by Media Bias/Fact Check on June 28, 2022 at 10:30 am