These sources have minimal bias and use very few loaded words (wording that attempts to influence an audience by using an appeal to emotion or stereotypes). The reporting is factual and usually sourced. These are the most credible media sources. See all Least Biased Sources.
- Overall, we rate RFE/RL Least Biased based on neutral language and balance of coverage. We also rate them Mostly Factual in reporting versus High due to infrequently publishing pro-USA Government propaganda.
Bias Rating: LEAST BIASED
Factual Reporting: MOSTLY FACTUAL
Press Freedom Rating: MOSTLY FREE
Media Type: Website
Traffic/Popularity: High Traffic
MBFC Credibility Rating: HIGH CREDIBILITY
Radio Free Europe / Radio Liberty (RFE/RL) is a private, nonprofit, multimedia broadcasting corporation founded and funded by the US government during the Cold War to counter Soviet propaganda. According to their about page, their mission is “RFE/RL journalists report the news in 20 countries where a free press is banned by the government or not fully established. We provide what many people cannot get locally: uncensored news, responsible discussion, and open debate.”
Funded by / Ownership
The U.S. Congress currently funds RFE/RL through the Broadcasting Board of Governors (BBG). The BBG is a bipartisan federal agency overseeing all U.S international broadcasting services. The RFE/RL president is Jamie Fly, and the Vice President/Editor-in-Chief of programming is Daisy Sindelar.
Analysis / Bias
In review, Radio Free Europe / Radio Liberty (RFE/RL) publishes some articles without hyperlinked sourcing. However, at the end of each piece, they source their information by writing, “With reporting by AP, AFP, and Reuters.” They also use other news service agencies, such as in this article where they list “With reporting by RFE/RL’s Russian Service, AP, Bloomberg, Interfax, Gazeta.ru, Dozhd TV, TASS, and The Moscow Times.”
Radio Free Europe/Radio Liberty (RFE/RL) utilizes headlines that are written in a neutral tone, without bias favoring one side or another: “Russian, Tehran Concerned Ahead Of Trump Decision On Iran Deal” and “Armenian Protest Leader Holds Rally Ahead Of May 8 Vote.” They also conduct interviews and produce reports through their correspondents in respective countries; however, it is difficult to determine their accuracy or if the interviews occurred. From a pure news reporting aspect, RFE/RL is balanced and sourced from credible media outlets.
Radio Free Europe was initially started as a Government-run propaganda outlet to influence Europe. Over time, they moved away from the propaganda; however, in 2016, they were criticized for running pro-Government Facebook ads.
Failed Fact Checks
- None in the Last 5 years
Overall, we rate RFE/RL Least Biased based on neutral language and balance of coverage. We also rate them Mostly Factual in reporting versus High due to infrequently publishing pro-USA Government propaganda. (M. Huitsing 5/8/2018) Updated (04/01/2022)
Last Updated on April 1, 2022 by Media Bias Fact Check
The Latest from MBFC Bias and Fact Checks - Media News
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 10/05/2022by Media Bias/Fact Check on October 5, 2022 at 10:30 am
- Daily Source Bias Check: Tenth Amendment Centerby Media Bias/Fact Check on October 5, 2022 at 8:00 am
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 10/04/2022by Media Bias/Fact Check on October 4, 2022 at 10:30 am
- Daily Source Bias Check: NBC New Yorkby Media Bias/Fact Check on October 4, 2022 at 8:00 am
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 10/03/2022by Media Bias/Fact Check on October 3, 2022 at 10:30 am
- Daily Source Bias Check: Emirates 24/7by Media Bias/Fact Check on October 3, 2022 at 8:01 am