These sources consist of legitimate science or are evidence-based through the use of credible scientific sourcing. Legitimate science follows the scientific method, is unbiased, and does not use emotional words. These sources also respect the consensus of experts in the given scientific field and strive to publish peer-reviewed science. Some sources in this category may have a slight political bias but adhere to scientific principles. See all Pro-Science sources.
- Overall, we rate The American Cancer Society Least Biased and Pro-Science based on fact-based scientific information and research. We also rate the Very-High in factual reporting for the same reasons.
Bias Rating: PRO-SCIENCE
Factual Reporting: VERY HIGH
Press Freedom Rating: MOSTLY FREE
Media Type: Organization/Foundation
Traffic/Popularity: High Traffic
MBFC Credibility Rating: HIGH CREDIBILITY
Founded in 1913, The American Cancer Society is an Atlanta, Georgia-based organization dedicated to eliminating cancer through providing information and funding research. The ACS publishes the journals Cancer, CA: A Cancer Journal for Clinicians and Cancer Cytopathology.
Funded by / Ownership
The American Cancer Society (ACS) is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit funded through donations by corporations, the public, and government grants. The organization is transparent as they disclose top donors of over 1 million dollars, such as Boeing, Walmart, Kohls, and CVS.
Analysis / Bias
The American Cancer Society provides educational resources to patients and caregivers, funds cancer research, publishes peer-reviewed journals and provides fact-based information regarding cancer on the website. For example, they have a section on the website called Cancer A-Z that provides “information about cancer and its causes to in-depth information on specific cancer types – including risk factors, early detection, diagnosis, and treatment options.”
The website also provides cancer-related news from a pro-science, low-biased perspective such as this Smoking Rates Historically Low, but Other Cancer-related Behaviors Need Improvement. We could not find any instances of the ACS directly reporting on politics. In general, they are low-biased, fact-based, and pro-science.
Failed Fact Checks
- None in the Last 5 years
Overall, we rate The American Cancer Society Least Biased and Pro-Science based on fact-based scientific information and research. We also rate the Very-High in factual reporting for the same reasons. (D. Van Zandt 10/17/2021)
Last Updated on January 14, 2022 by Media Bias Fact Check
News Facts Network Verified Factual News
- Finnish, Swedish Lawmakers To Debate NATO Membership As Moscow Warns Nordic NATO Plans A ‘Grave Mistake’by Media Bias Fact Check on May 16, 2022 at 12:06 pm
- Conservative media is familiar with Buffalo suspect’s alleged ‘theory’by newsfactsnetwork on May 16, 2022 at 11:48 am
- More mass shootings are happening at grocery stores — 13% of shooters are motivated by race, criminologists findby Media Bias Fact Check on May 16, 2022 at 11:40 am
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 05/16/2022by Media Bias Fact Check on May 16, 2022 at 10:15 am
- MBFC’s Daily Source Bias Check: Infobaeby Media Bias Fact Check on May 16, 2022 at 7:09 am