These media sources have a slight to moderate liberal bias. They often publish factual information that utilizes loaded words (wording that attempts to influence an audience by using appeal to emotion or stereotypes) to favor liberal causes. These sources are generally trustworthy for information, but may require further investigation. See all Left-Center sources.
- Overall, we rate New Europe Left-Center biased based on story selection and editorial positions that moderately favor the left. We also rate them High for factual reporting due to proper sourcing and a reasonable fact check record.
Factual Reporting: HIGH
World Press Freedom Rank: Belgium 12/180
Launched in 1993, New Europe is a weekly news and analysis newspaper, and its main focus reports concerns on European Union institutions: the European Commission, European Parliament, and Council of Ministers. Their headquarters are in Brussels, Belgium. Basil Coronakis founded the New Europe (newspaper) and served as its Editor and CEO until 2008. The current editor of New Europe is Alexandros Koronakis.
New Europe states their mission as “Pro-European, with faith in the European Project, but not blind to the faults of the European structures and our mission is to foster transparency, democracy, dialogue, and debate.”
Funded by / Ownership
Analysis / Bias
In review, New Europe reports news related to Europe and the European Union. They use minimally loaded language in their headlines “Why Romania could be next” and typically, they use large quotations without providing links to their sources. Such as: “As reported by Romania Insider, the president also said he had not yet spoken with Laura Codruţa Kovesi, head of the Anti-Corruption Directorate (DNA), or other chief prosecutors about the justice laws. The justice minister should do this, Iohannis said.” Further, New Europe also utilizes credible sources such as AP, Council of Europe, and Bloomberg.
When it comes to US politics their word choices are anti-Trump, such as “Europe’s far-right welcomes Trump’s Muslim immigration ban” and America’s new civil war (II). In general, the news is reported factually and with a left-leaning editorial bias.
Failed Fact Checks
- FACT CHECK: IS FINLAND INTRODUCING 4-DAY WORK WEEKS AND 6-HOUR WORK DAYS? – False (Corrected)
Overall, we rate New Europe Left-Center biased based on story selection and editorial positions that moderately favor the left. We also rate them High for factual reporting due to proper sourcing and a reasonable fact check record. (M. Huitsing 12/22/2017) Updated (6/13/2020)
Last Updated on December 1, 2020 by Media Bias Fact Check
News Facts Network Verified Factual News
- U.S. COVID-19 cases increased threefold over past month
- Ex-Minneapolis police officer pleads guilty to manslaughter in George Floyd’s death
- Cancer drug may treat severe COVID-19, study finds
- Facebook promised to remove “sensitive” ads. Here’s what it left behind.by Media Bias Fact Check on May 18, 2022 at 2:39 pm
- Schumer implores Fox News leaders to stop ‘amplification’ of ‘replacement theory’by Media Bias Fact Check on May 18, 2022 at 11:54 am