These media sources are moderately to strongly biased toward conservative causes through story selection and/or political affiliation. They may utilize strong loaded words (wording that attempts to influence an audience by using appeal to emotion or stereotypes), publish misleading reports and omit reporting of information that may damage conservative causes. Some sources in this category may be untrustworthy. See all Right Bias sources.
- Overall, we rate LifeNews.com Right Biased based on story selection that always favors a Christian Right perspective. We also rate them Mixed for factual reporting due to use of poor sources and a mixed fact check record.
Factual Reporting: MIXED
World Press Freedom Rank: USA 48/180
Founded in 2001 by Steve Ertelt, LifeNews.com is an “independent news agency devoted to reporting news that affects the pro-life community.” According to their about page “The topics covered by LifeNews.com include abortion, assisted suicide and euthanasia, bioethics issues such as human cloning and stem cell research, campaigns and elections, and cultural legal and legislative issues as they affect the pro-life community.” The current editor is also Steve Ertelt, who is President of Colorado Citizens for Life, a statewide pro-life group, and a member of the board of directors of the National Right to Life Committee.
Funded by / Ownership
LifeNews.com is owned by Steve Ertelt and is funded through donations and onsite advertising.
Analysis / Bias
In review, Lifenews.com primarily reports on anti-abortion news with the use of loaded language such as this: Bishop Slams Andrew Cuomo for Signing Bill Legalizing Abortions Up to Birth: You’re No Catholic. Sourcing for this article comes from the factually mixed Daily Caller. Lifenews.com also covers political news with a strong right wing bias such as this: Seven Times the Liberal Media Swooned Over Their Liberal Heroes This Year. This story is also poorly sourced to the factually mixed NewsBusters.
In general, all stories on LifeNews.com favors a far right Christian perspective and routinely denigrate liberal ideology.
Failed Fact Checks
- ABC, CBS, NBC, MSNBC, NPR, PBS all refused to cover abortionist who kept 2,246 aborted babies. – Mostly False
- U.S. Representative Kyrsten Sinema of Arizona voted to “allow abortions up to birth.” – False
- A bill before the Oregon state legislature is “designed to allow for the starving of patients with dementia or mental illness” to death. – False
- Says Nancy Pelosi was “caught trying to include abortion funding in bill to combat coronavirus.” – False
Overall, we rate LifeNews.com Right Biased based on story selection that always favors a Christian Right perspective. We also rate them Mixed for factual reporting due to use of poor sources and a mixed fact check record. (D. Van Zandt 2/1/2017) Updated (03/17/2020) (added failed fact check link)