Founded in 2001 by Steve Ertelt, LifeNews.com is an “independent news agency devoted to reporting news that affects the pro-life community.” According to their about page “The topics covered by LifeNews.com include abortion, assisted suicide and euthanasia, bioethics issues such as human cloning and stem cell research, campaigns and elections, and cultural legal and legislative issues as they affect the pro-life community.” The current editor is also Steve Ertelt, who is President of Colorado Citizens for Life, a statewide pro-life group, and a member of the board of directors of the National Right to Life Committee.
Funded by / Ownership
LifeNews.com is owned by Steve Ertelt and is funded through donations and onsite advertising.
Analysis / Bias
In review, Lifenews.com primarily reports on anti-abortion news with the use of loaded language such as this: Bishop Slams Andrew Cuomo for Signing Bill Legalizing Abortions Up to Birth: You’re No Catholic. Sourcing for this article comes from the factually mixed Daily Caller. Lifenews.com also covers political news with a strong right-wing bias such as this: Seven Times the Liberal Media Swooned Over Their Liberal Heroes This Year. This story is also poorly sourced to the factually mixed NewsBusters.
In general, all stories on LifeNews.com favor a far-right Christian perspective and routinely denigrate liberal ideology.
Failed Fact Checks
- ABC, CBS, NBC, MSNBC, NPR, PBS all refused to cover abortionist who kept 2,246 aborted babies. – Mostly False
- U.S. Representative Kyrsten Sinema of Arizona voted to “allow abortions up to birth.” – False
- A bill before the Oregon state legislature is “designed to allow for the starving of patients with dementia or mental illness” to death. – False
- Says Nancy Pelosi was “caught trying to include abortion funding in bill to combat coronavirus.” – False
- Says Nancy Pelosi tried “once again” to include abortion funding in the latest coronavirus bill. – Mostly False
- New Mexico House Committee Passes Bill to Legalize Killing Babies in Abortions Up to Birth – False
Overall, we rate LifeNews.com Right Biased and Questionable based on the use of poor sources, promotion of pseudoscience, and numerous failed fact-checks. (D. Van Zandt 2/1/2017) Updated (03/22/2021)