These media sources are moderately to strongly biased toward conservative causes through story selection and/or political affiliation. They may utilize strong loaded words (wording that attempts to influence an audience by using appeal to emotion or stereotypes), publish misleading reports, and omit information that may damage conservative causes. Some sources in this category may be untrustworthy. See all Right Bias sources.
- Overall, we rate Newsbusters Right Biased based on story selection that always favors the right. We also rate them borderline questionable due to the use of poor sources and numerous failed fact checks. One additional failed fact check will push this source by default onto the Questionable list.
Bias Rating: RIGHT
Factual Reporting: MIXED
Country: USA (45/180 Press Freedom)
Media Type: Organization/Foundation
Traffic/Popularity: Medium Traffic
MBFC Credibility Rating: MEDIUM CREDIBILITY
Founded in 2005, Newsbusters claims to expose liberal bias much like its parent organization Media Research Center. The website features a tagline that reads “dedicated to exposing & combating liberal media bias.” Essentially, this site reports on perceived liberal bias in the media and by individuals. According to their about page, they state “the NewsBusters blog provides immediate exposure of national media bias, unfairness, inaccuracy, and occasional idiocy.”
The parent organization, Media Research Center (MRC), was founded in 1987 by L. Brent Bozell III. MRC claims to be “America’s leading media watchdog in documenting, exposing, and neutralizing liberal media bias.”
On 12/18/2019, Newsbusters published a misleading criticism of Media Bias Fact Check stating, “MediaBiasFactCheck.com has one section labeled “Questionable Sources,” which includes neo-Nazi publications such as The Daily Stormer, but also slams reputable conservative outlets: DNC Starts Disinformation ‘Intelligence Unit’ To Combat Drudge, CNSNews.com.” While it is a fact that there are numerous conservative/far-right sources on our questionable list, Newsbusters failed to mention the dozens of left-wing sources on this list, such as Occupy Democrats, Bipartisan Report, Blue Dot Daily, etc. This story clearly illustrates the bias and misleading nature of Newsbusters and why this is a borderline Questionable source.
Funded by / Ownership
Newsbusters is owned by the Media Research Center, a 501(c)(3) nonprofit. The MRC has received financial support from several right-leaning sources, including the Bradley, Scaife, Olin, Castle Rock, Carthage, JM foundations, and ExxonMobil. Newsbusters is funded by MRC and also displays advertising.
Analysis / Bias
In review, Newsbusters reports news on liberal bias. They frequently use strongly loaded, emotional, and right biased wording such as this: CBS’s Garrett Hammers NBC for Boosting Warren During Debate. This story is sourced from video footage and tweets. Another example of emotionally charged language is NBC’s Liberal Debate Obsessions: Save Miami! Grab Guns! Fight Mitch McConnell! When it comes to sourcing, they usually provide videos to support their opinions; however, they use poor sources such as Rush Limbaugh and Breitbart. Editorially, Newsbusters always favors conservatives and denigrates the left.
Failed Fact Checks
- Ted Kennedy sent a letter to then-Soviet leader Yuri Andropov apologizing for Ronald Reagan and begging the Soviets not to overreact. – FALSE
- Warren Buffett recently said, “Scrap Obamacare and Start All Over.” – PANTS ON FIRE
- Says after Hurricane Sandy, New York Mayor Michael Bloomberg “refused to allow the National Guard into the city to restore civil order because Guardsmen carry guns!” – MOSTLY FALSE
- The Communist Party of the USA endorsed Hillary Clinton. – FALSE
Overall, we rate Newsbusters Right Biased based on story selection that always favors the right. We also rate them borderline questionable due to the use of poor sources and numerous failed fact checks. One additional failed fact check will push this source by default onto the Questionable list. (D. Van Zandt 7/19/2016) Updated (06/10/2020)
Last Updated on April 23, 2021 by Media Bias Fact Check
News Facts Network Verified Factual News
- Australia set to get new PM after Scott Morrison’s ruling conservatives projected to lose electionby Media Bias Fact Check on May 21, 2022 at 12:53 pm
- Biden says US has offered vaccines to North Korea but got no responseby newsfactsnetwork on May 21, 2022 at 12:43 pm
- MBFC’s Daily Source Bias Check: International Press Instituteby Media Bias Fact Check on May 21, 2022 at 10:15 am
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 05/21/2022by Media Bias Fact Check on May 21, 2022 at 10:15 am
- U.S. stops controlled burns nationwide after New Mexico disasterby Media Bias Fact Check on May 21, 2022 at 3:43 am