These media sources are moderate to strongly biased toward liberal causes through story selection and/or political affiliation. They may utilize strong loaded words (wording that attempts to influence an audience by using appeal to emotion or stereotypes), publish misleading reports, and omit information reporting that may damage liberal causes. Some sources in this category may be untrustworthy. See all Left Bias sources.
- Overall, we rate The Advocate Left Biased based on story selection and editorial positions that routinely favor progressive liberal policy. We also rate them High for factual reporting due to proper sourcing and a clean fact check record.
Bias Rating: LEFT
Factual Reporting: HIGH
Country: USA (44/180 Press Freedom)
Media Type: Magazine
Traffic/Popularity: Medium Traffic
MBFC Credibility Rating: HIGH CREDIBILITY
Founded in 1967, The Advocate is an American LGBT-interest magazine, printed bi-monthly and available by subscription. The Advocate brand also includes a website. Both the magazine and website have an editorial focus on news, politics, opinion, and arts and entertainment of interest to lesbians, gay men, bisexuals, and transgender (LGBT) people. The current editor is Zach Stafford. The website provides a staff page but does not offer biographies, lacking transparency.
Funded by / Ownership
The Advocate is owned by Pride Media, which publishes several LGBT interest publications. Revenue is derived from magazine subscriptions and advertising.
Analysis / Bias
In review, The Advocate reports news related to the LGBT community. Original reporting often uses minimally loaded language: Gay Diplomat Nominated as Ambassador to Conservative Lithuania. This story, like most, is properly sourced to credible media outlets such as whitehouse.gov, France24, and the Daily Beast. The website offers news under the “Culture” category and Politics. News reported under the politics tab often favor the left: New Campaign Highlights Major Companies Backing Antigay Politicians. Again, this story is correctly sourced to information from the least biased Open Secrets.
Editorially, they offer a Commentary section that features op-eds. Most op-eds again favor the left and are not favorable to former President Donald Trump: The Unclean Hands of Donald J. Trump. In general, most stories favor the left through advocacy for progressive liberal policy.
Failed Fact Checks
- None in the Last 5 years
Overall, we rate The Advocate Left Biased based on story selection and editorial positions that routinely favor progressive liberal policy. We also rate them High for factual reporting due to proper sourcing and a clean fact check record. (8/23/2016) Updated (D. Van Zandt 12/23/2021)
Last Updated on December 23, 2021 by Media Bias Fact Check
News Facts Network Verified Factual News
- U.S. COVID-19 cases increased threefold over past month
- Ex-Minneapolis police officer pleads guilty to manslaughter in George Floyd’s death
- Cancer drug may treat severe COVID-19, study finds
- Facebook promised to remove “sensitive” ads. Here’s what it left behind.by Media Bias Fact Check on May 18, 2022 at 2:39 pm
- Schumer implores Fox News leaders to stop ‘amplification’ of ‘replacement theory’by Media Bias Fact Check on May 18, 2022 at 11:54 am