These sources have minimal bias and use very few loaded words (wording that attempts to influence an audience by appealing to emotion or stereotypes). The reporting is factual and usually sourced. These are the most credible media sources.
- Overall, we rate Ground News Least Biased based on publishing news stories from both sides of the political spectrum and appropriately labeling their bias. We also rate them mostly factual rather than High due to the use of poor sources that can publish false or misleading information; however, these news stories are typically reported by other credible media outlets meaning they most likely are factual.
Bias Rating: LEAST BIASED
Factual Reporting: MOSTLY FACTUAL
Press Freedom Rating: MOSTLY FREE
Media Type: Website/App
Traffic/Popularity: High Traffic
MBFC Credibility Rating: HIGH CREDIBILITY
Founded in 2018 by Harleen Kaur and Sukh Singh, Ground News is a mobile app, browser extension, and website that curates/aggregates news stories from numerous sources and labels the source by bias rating. According to their about page, they state, “Looking to break free from your echo chamber? We’ve already helped over 150,000 escape theirs and see the news from a different perspective. Ground News was created to be a news destination for everyone, regardless of political ideology.”
Funded by / Ownership
Snapwise Inc., an Ontario, Canada-based company, owns Ground News. Ground News generates revenue through donations and subscription fees to unlock full content.
Ground News publishes a summary of a news story and then provides links to other sources reporting on the same news. Each link is assigned a bias rating of either Left, Center, or Right. You are given the option to click on the source or leaving the website/app to read the story. When you click on the source link, you are given more detailed information where the source is labeled one of “seven bias ratings (Far Left, Left, Leans Left, Center, Leans Right, Right, Far Right) based on the average bias rating of the publishing news Bias Rating agencies.” Ground News states that they do not determine bias ratings on their methodology page but rather rely on authoritative bias raters, Media Bias Fact Check, Allsides.com, and Ad Fontes Media.
The website/app also features Blindspot, highlighting a news story disproportionally reported by one side. For example, the story Conservative think tank creates ‘A to Z guide’ for stopping critical race theory in schools is meant for the Left’s blindspot because 6 out of 7 news sources reporting this story have a right bias. Another feature of Ground News is they display a map of where the source originates from.
Ground News does not appear to favor the left or right when publishing news stories, and they provide the bias rating of each source as determined by credible bias raters. While they present news with minimal bias, they do not factor in the credibility of the source. For example, we found that they publish news stories from sources that routinely fail fact checks, such as PJ Media, Sputnik, and Alex Jones’ Newswars website, which has a history of promoting conspiracy theories and falsehoods daily. However, these stories are also being reported by other credible media outlets, which indicates they are most likely true. In general, Ground News is not biased, but some news sources utilized have poor track records with fact-checkers.
Failed Fact Checks
- None directly related to Ground News
Overall, we rate Ground News Least Biased based on publishing news stories from both sides of the political spectrum and appropriately labeling their bias. We also rate them mostly factual rather than High due to the use of poor sources that can publish false or misleading information; however, these news stories are typically reported by other credible media outlets meaning they most likely are factual. (D. Van Zandt 6/9/2021)
Last Updated on February 11, 2022 by Media Bias Fact Check
News Facts Network Verified Factual News
- Australia set to get new PM after Scott Morrison’s ruling conservatives projected to lose electionby Media Bias Fact Check on May 21, 2022 at 12:53 pm
- Biden says US has offered vaccines to North Korea but got no responseby newsfactsnetwork on May 21, 2022 at 12:43 pm
- MBFC’s Daily Source Bias Check: International Press Instituteby Media Bias Fact Check on May 21, 2022 at 10:15 am
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 05/21/2022by Media Bias Fact Check on May 21, 2022 at 10:15 am
- U.S. stops controlled burns nationwide after New Mexico disasterby Media Bias Fact Check on May 21, 2022 at 3:43 am