A questionable source exhibits one or more of the following: extreme bias, consistent promotion of propaganda/conspiracies, poor or no sourcing to credible information, a complete lack of transparency, and/or is fake news. Fake News is the deliberate attempt to publish hoaxes and/or disinformation for profit or influence (Learn More). Sources listed in the Questionable Category may be very untrustworthy and should be fact-checked on a per-article basis. Please note sources on this list are not considered fake news unless specifically written in the reasoning section for that source. See all Questionable sources.
- Overall, we rate PJ Media to be Questionable based on extreme right-wing bias, promotion of propaganda and conspiracies, as well as numerous failed fact checks.
Questionable Reasoning: Extreme Right, Propaganda, Conspiracy, Poor Sourcing, Failed Fact Checks
Bias Rating: RIGHT
Factual Reporting: MIXED
Country: USA (45/180 Press Freedom)
Media Type: Website
Traffic/Popularity: High Traffic
MBFC Credibility Rating: LOW CREDIBILITY
Founded in 2004, PJ Media (originally known as Pajamas Media) is an American online media company and operator of conservative news, opinion, and commentary collaborative blog. Charles Johnson and Roger L. Simon founded PJ Media. Johnson and Simon set out to “challenge the mainstream media with a network of citizen-journalists.” The network was primarily made up of conservatives and libertarians. PJ Media also had a TV channel that shutdown operations on May 11, 2016, after its billionaire majority investor Aubrey Chernick pulled out funds.
Funded by / Ownership
PJ Media, LLC, privately holds PJ Media. The website is funded through a combination of online advertising and an online shop to buy products.
Analysis / Bias
In review, PJ Media is a popular conservative news and opinion website that garners 13 million+ page views per month. PJ Media uses moderately loaded emotional language in their articles that favor the right, such as this: Suspended Pentagon Whistleblower Says FBI’s Russia Probe Was ‘All a Set-Up.’ When it comes to the sourcing of information, they usually use credible right-leaning media sources. However, they also use poor sources such as Jihad Watch, which has been labeled a hate group by the SPLC. Almost all stories reviewed favored the right and denigrated the left through wording and story selection.
Failed Fact Checks
- Do ‘Liberals’ at the University of Texas Want to Designate Masculinity a Mental Illness? – FALSE
- Between 2008 and 2014, “criminal aliens accounted for 38 percent of all murder convictions in the five states of California, Texas, Arizona, Florida, and New York.” – FALSE
- “During his first presidential campaign in 2008, Mr. Obama used a secret back channel to Tehran to assure the mullahs that he was a friend of the Islamic Republic and that they would be very happy with his policies.” – FALSE
- Clinton sent Ambassador Stevens to Benghazi to Retrieve Stinger Missiles – UNPROVEN
- No, 96% of Google news stories on Trump aren’t from left-wing outlets – FALSE
- In January 2020, U.S. Rep. Ilhan Omar advised Iran to attack Trump-branded hotels worldwide, thus committing treason. – FALSE
Overall, we rate PJ Media to be Questionable based on extreme right-wing bias, promotion of propaganda and conspiracies, as well as numerous failed fact checks. (7/92016) Updated (D. Van Zandt 03/10/2021)