These media sources are moderately to strongly biased toward conservative causes through story selection and/or political affiliation. They may utilize strong loaded words (wording that attempts to influence an audience by using appeal to emotion or stereotypes), publish misleading reports and omit reporting of information that may damage conservative causes. Some sources in this category may be untrustworthy. See all Right Bias sources.
Factual Reporting: MIXED
World Press Freedom Rank: USA 45/180
PJ Media (originally known as Pajamas Media) is an American online media company and operator of a conservative news, opinion and commentary collaborative blog that was founded in 2004. PJ Media was founded by Charles Johnson and Roger L. Simon. Johnson and Simon set out to “challenge the mainstream media with a network of citizen-journalists.” The network was primarily made up of conservatives and libertarians. PJ Media also had a TV channel that shutdown operations on May 11, 2016, after its billionaire majority investor Aubrey Chernick pulled out funds.
Funded by / Ownership
PJ Media is privately held by PJ Media, LLC. The website is funded through a combination of online advertising and an online shop to buy products.
Analysis / Bias
In review, PJ Media is a popular conservative news and opinion website that garners 13 million+ page views per month. PJ Media uses moderately loaded emotional language in their articles that favor the right, such as this: Suspended Pentagon Whistleblower Says FBI’s Russia Probe Was ‘All a Set-Up’. When it comes to sourcing of information, they usually use credible right leaning media sources. In general, almost all stories reviewed favored the right and denigrated the left through wording and story selection.
- Do ‘Liberals’ at the University of Texas Want to Designate Masculinity a Mental Illness? – FALSE
- Between 2008 and 2014, “criminal aliens accounted for 38 percent of all murder convictions in the five states of California, Texas, Arizona, Florida and New York.” – FALSE
- “During his first presidential campaign in 2008, Mr. Obama used a secret back channel to Tehran to assure the mullahs that he was a friend of the Islamic Republic, and that they would be very happy with his policies.” – FALSE
- Clinton Sent Ambassador Stevens to Benghazi to Retrieve Stinger Missiles – UNPROVEN!
- No, 96% of Google news stories on Trump aren’t from left-wing outlets – FALSE
Overall, we rate PJ Media to be borderline Questionable based on numerous failed fact checks, however they do fall just below the threshold and are therefore rated Right Biased and Mixed for factual reporting. (7/92016) Updated (D. Van Zandt 8/29/2018)