Last updated on October 5th, 2020 at 04:16 pm
A questionable source exhibits one or more of the following: extreme bias, consistent promotion of propaganda/conspiracies, poor or no sourcing to credible information, a complete lack of transparency and/or is fake news. Fake News is the deliberate attempt to publish hoaxes and/or disinformation for the purpose of profit or influence (Learn More). Sources listed in the Questionable Category may be very untrustworthy and should be fact checked on a per article basis. Please note sources on this list are not considered fake news unless specifically written in the reasoning section for that source. See all Questionable sources.
- Overall, we rate Flag & Cross Questionable based on extreme right-wing bias, use of poor sources, lack of transparency with ownership, and several failed fact checks.
Reasoning: Extreme Right, Poor Sourcing, Lack of Transparency, Failed Fact Checks
World Press Freedom Rank: USA 45/180
Founded in 2018, Flag & Cross is a hyper-partisan conservative news and opinion website. According to their about page “Our site is dedicated to the millions of Americans who want to live in a freer nation: a country that regulates less, taxes less, protects all its people regardless of race or religion or sex, guards its borders, supports its military, defends the second amendment, and is vocally pro-life.” The managing editor of Flag And Cross is John Salvatore.
The website lacks transparency as they do not disclose ownership.
Funded by / Ownership
Flag & Cross does not openly disclose ownership, however, the domain is registered to Romulus Marketing, which is owned by Brandon Vallorani. Romulus operates other conservative websites such as Great American Politics and Constitution.com. Revenue is generated through advertising and sale of merchandise.
Analysis / Bias
In review, Flag & Cross does not produce original news reporting, but rather adds conservative commentary to existing news stories from other sources. Articles and headlines often contain emotionally loaded wording that favors the right and denigrates the left such as this: Indictments Coming Soon In FBI’s Mishandling of Russia Collusion Investigation, Obama Scandal. This story is sourced to Fox Business. The website also features a section called the Revere Report, which links to news stories from questionable conservative sources such as Liberty Unyielding, Big League Politics, and DC Dirty Laundry.
Editorially, Flag & Cross demonstrates a strong pro-Christian and pro-Conservative bias through support for limited government, 2nd amendment rights, and anti-abortion stances. They also occasionally promote religious pseudoscience such as this: Is Covid-19 A Judgment From Above? — The Need for Some Clarity and this God’s Final Dispensation – Seven Reasons Why the World Won’t See It. When it comes to science they promote misinformation regarding climate change. See the fact checks below. In general, Flag & Cross is a far-right website that does
Failed Fact Checks
- Did Bernie Sanders say undocumented immigrants are “entitled” to government benefits during a campaign rally in Texas? – False
- NASA Scientist Warns of Strange Solar Activity and Record Cold – False
- Did a whistleblower investigating 2018 election fraud shoot himself and was no gun recovered from the scene? – False
- Did Democratic presidential candidate Michael Bloomberg say that all elderly people should be denied care past a certain age when they become ill? – False
- Did Bernie Sanders say at a Democratic debate that the planet has only eight or nine years before major cities go under water? – False
Overall, we rate Flag & Cross Questionable based on extreme right-wing bias, use of poor sources, lack of transparency with ownership, and several failed fact checks. (D. Van Zandt 4/19/2020)