- Overall, we rate Western Journal Right Biased and Questionable based on story selection and editorial opinions that strongly favor the right and numerous failed fact checks.
Reasoning: Far Right, Failed Fact Checks
World Press Freedom Rank: USA 45/180
The Western Journal, previously known as Western Journalism, is an American conservative news and political website based in Phoenix, Arizona. The site was founded by political consultant Floyd Brown in 2008. According to their about page “The Western Journal is a news company that drives positive cultural change by equipping readers with truth. Every day, WesternJournal.com publishes conservative, libertarian, free-market, and pro-family writers and broadcasters.”
Funded by / Ownership
Analysis / Bias
The Western Journal is a news and opinion website with story selection that always favors the right and is negative toward the left. There is the frequent use of moderately loaded language in headlines such as this: The Clinton State Department’s Major Security Breach That Everyone Is Ignoring. The Western Journal typically sources its information to credible media outlets, though story selection and wording usually spin information favorably to the right. They have also failed several fact checks. Finally, during the 2020 Presidential election they have promoted misinformation. See failed fact check below.
Failed Fact Checks
- Did the Boy Scouts Lose 425,000 Members Because of a Gender-Inclusive Name Change? – Unproven
- “Media Hysteria: Climate Change ‘Heat Records’ Are a Huge Data Manipulation” – False
- “Pelosi Sinks to New Low, Tells Dems: If You Have to Lie to Voters to Win, Do It,” – False
- Is California considering legislation that would ban the Bible? – False
- A Misleading Take on Immigrant, Veterans Health Care – False
- With Only 9 Days To Go Before Election, Biden Calls Another Lid While Trump Is Securing Peace in the Middle East – False
- Did six people in Pennsylvania die and then register and vote in the 2020 election? – No evidence
Overall, we rate Western Journal Right Biased and Questionable based on story selection and editorial opinions that strongly favor the right and numerous failed fact checks. (10/15/2016) Updated (D. Van Zandt 11/14/2020)