These sources consist of legitimate science or are evidence-based through the use of credible scientific sourcing. Legitimate science follows the scientific method, is unbiased, and does not use emotional words. These sources also respect the consensus of experts in the given scientific field and strive to publish peer-reviewed science. Some sources in this category may have a slight political bias but adhere to scientific principles. See all Pro-Science sources.
- Overall, we rate BioMed Central as a Pro-Science open-source publisher.
Bias Rating: PRO-SCIENCE
Factual Reporting: HIGH
Country: United Kingdom
Press Freedom Rank: MOSTLY FREE
Media Type: Organization/Foundation
Traffic/Popularity: Medium Traffic
MBFC Credibility Rating: HIGH CREDIBILITY
Founded in 2000, BioMed Central or BMC is a United Kingdom-based, for-profit scientific open access publisher. They publish 300 journals that are entirely online. According to their about page, “Our leading research journals include selective titles such as BMC Biology, BMC Medicine, Genome Biology and Genome Medicine, academic journals such as Journal of Hematology & Oncology, Malaria Journal and Microbiome, and the BMC series, 65 inclusive journals focused on the needs of individual research communities. We also partner with leading institutions and societies to publish journals on their behalf.”
Funded by / Ownership
BioMed Central is owned by Springer Nature, an academic publishing company created by the May 2015 merger of Springer Science+Business Media and Holtzbrinck Publishing Group’s Nature Publishing Group, Palgrave Macmillan, and Macmillan Education. The company reported revenues of €1.64 billion in 2017.
Analysis / Bias
In review, BioMed Central (BMC) is an open-access publisher of scientific journals. There are two types of Open Access Journals, legitimate and predatory, both of which charge the author for publication. Predatory journals often lack peer review and are generally considered not credible. BioMed Central is a legitimate, open-access publisher that is frequently indexed in PubMed. BMC covers a wide range of disciplines in the Bio-Medical sciences.
Overall, we rate BioMed Central as a Pro-Science open-source publisher. (D. Van Zandt 4/5/2019) Updated (04/01/2022)
Last Updated on April 1, 2022 by Media Bias Fact Check
The Latest from MBFC Bias and Fact Checks - Media News
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 06/28/2022by Media Bias/Fact Check on June 28, 2022 at 10:30 am
- Daily Source Bias Check: Chronicles Magazineby Media Bias/Fact Check on June 28, 2022 at 8:00 am
- Clarence Thomas signals interest in making it easier to sue mediaby Media Bias/Fact Check on June 27, 2022 at 4:23 pm
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 06/27/2022by Media Bias/Fact Check on June 27, 2022 at 10:30 am
- Daily Source Bias Check: Kenosha Newsby Media Bias/Fact Check on June 27, 2022 at 8:00 am
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 06/26/2022by Media Bias/Fact Check on June 26, 2022 at 10:30 am