Sources in the Conspiracy-Pseudoscience category may publish unverifiable information that is not always supported by evidence. These sources may be untrustworthy for credible/verifiable information; therefore, fact-checking and further investigation is recommended on a per article basis when obtaining information from these sources. See all Conspiracy-Pseudoscience sources.
- In conclusion, we rate Thrive Global Left biased based on editorial positions. We also rate them a Strong Pseudoscience website due to the promotion of misleading scientific claims regarding health.
Bias Rating: LEFT PSEUDOSCIENCE
Factual Reporting: MIXED
Press Freedom Rating: MOSTLY FREE
Media Type: Website
Traffic/Popularity: Medium Traffic
MBFC Credibility Rating: LOW CREDIBILITY
Founded by Arianna Huffington (Huff Post) in 2016, Thrive Global is an American company that provides media consulting. According to their about page, they are “uniquely positioned to sustainably change behavior by reaching people at home, at work, and through the technology they already use. Our multi-pronged offering yields a revolutionary approach to ending the epidemic of stress and burnout.”
Funded by / Ownership
Thrive Global Holdings Inc, based in New York City, owns Thrive Global. They have secured funding from the San Francisco 49er’s, Marc Benioff, Jack Ma, Kevin Durant, and Andre Iguodala. Thrive Global earns revenue through advertising and sponsored content.
Analysis / Bias
Thrive Global reports on stress, sleep, mental health, and general well-being. The Thrive Global staff writes articles as well as 130K members who can publish unedited work. They also republish articles from outside sources such as Business Insider and the blogging platform Medium. Articles and headlines use moderate loaded emotional language such as this As the Pandemic Drags On, I Can’t Take Much More of This.
A review of staff-produced content reveals factual information with a slight left-leaning bias. However, under the Community section of the website, where members publish articles, there is the frequent publication of misinformation. Many of the articles in this section promote pseudoscience, such as this 5 Fitness Industry Myths: DEBUNKED! In this article, they claim that Aspartame causes cancer. This has been debunked for many years. They also promote miracle cures for Covid-19, such as this How to Protect Yourself From Coronavirus. In this article, they claim that a high alkaline diet will overwhelm the Coronavirus. First, diet does not change the body’s PH level, and second, it would not impact Covid-19.
Editorially, most stories favor the left and denigrate the right such as this What Happens When PTSD Turns into Post-Trump Stress Disorder? In general, Thrive Global is a left-biased website that frequently promotes pseudoscience and misinformation.
Failed Fact Checks
- See the above examples.
In conclusion, we rate Thrive Global Left biased based on editorial positions. We also rate them a Strong Pseudoscience website due to the promotion of misleading scientific claims regarding health. (D. Van Zandt 4/3/2021) Updated (11/23/2021)
Last Updated on February 16, 2022 by Media Bias Fact Check
The Latest from MBFC Bias and Fact Checks - Media News
- Daily Source Bias Check: Chronicles Magazineby Media Bias/Fact Check on June 28, 2022 at 8:00 am
- Clarence Thomas signals interest in making it easier to sue mediaby Media Bias/Fact Check on June 27, 2022 at 4:23 pm
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 06/27/2022by Media Bias/Fact Check on June 27, 2022 at 10:30 am
- Daily Source Bias Check: Kenosha Newsby Media Bias/Fact Check on June 27, 2022 at 8:00 am
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 06/26/2022by Media Bias/Fact Check on June 26, 2022 at 10:30 am
- Daily Source Bias Check: NewsBreakby Media Bias/Fact Check on June 26, 2022 at 8:00 am